Now then, now then, now then. My next game is trickier to play, so much so that I've been trying and failing to complete it all week. The question is: YOU are on Strictly Come Dancing. Who are you dancing with, what are you wearing, and what songs are you dancing to?
I am dancing with Darren Bennett (it was a tough choice - I love Matthew this series, but equally lovely Darren's choreography is better). I am dressed as Tess Daly with heavy bangs, a grotesque belt, and a dress that looks like the lining of Elvis's coffin. And these are my dances, some, I must confess, deliberately chosen just to upset the band:
Waltz - Don't Want To Miss A Thing (Aerosmith)
Viennese Waltz - Harvest Moon (Neil Young)
Foxtrot - Moondance (Van Morrison)
Quickstep - Get Happy (Judy Garland)
Rhumba - Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus (Serge Gainsbourg / Jane Birkin - mainly for the complaints)
American Smooth - Anything Goes (Frank Sinatra)
Tango - Over and Over (Hot Chip - just to hear the band sing "like a monkey with a miniature cymbal")
Argentinian Tango - Back to Black (Amy Winehouse)
Salsa - I Like It Like That (Pete Rodriquez)
Cha Cha Cha - Aint No Other Man (Christina Aguilera)
Samba - I See You Baby Shakin' That Ass (Groove Armada)
Jive - Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry, but preferably played by Michael J Fox in Back to the Future)
Paso Doble - Song of Jacky (Scott Walker)
I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. It was surprisingly hard to do the whole list. As you will discover...
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

13 comments:
Ooh Marie, I'd love to play this game, but my dancing isn't really up to it.
Would love to salsa to La Vida Loca, with that fabulous guy who did the show dance on Saturday.
But what I really really want is for my husband to learn to dance properly (he actually has got good natural rhythm) so we could dance properly to You Really Got Me...
I think I would really enjoy being a contestant though!
He he. Poor Tess. She really has no style whatsoever.
OK - my list is definitely a complete fantasy as I have 3 left feet and I stubbornly resist My Lovely Young Wife's efforts to get me to learn to dance.
I'd be dancing with the lovely little Lilia (while you're keeping Darren busy), wearing a tiny, brief gold lamé bikini with tassles (her, not me). I'd be wearing something not-at-all figure hugging, to hide my weight and excitement.
Songs - I'm not 100% certain about how the tempi, rhythms, etc, work for each dance, so some of these may be hideously impractical. I'm sure that Lilia will be able to sort something out though:
Waltz - With A Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker)
Viennese Waltz - Golden Brown (The Stranglers)
Foxtrot - Let There Be Love (Nat King Cole)
Quickstep - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (The Police)
Rhumba - Perfect Day (Lou Reed)
American Smooth - You Make Me Feel So Young (Frank Sinatra)
Tango - Ruby (Kaiser Chiefs)
Argentinian Tango - Santa Maria (The Gotan Project)
Salsa - Tequila (The Champs)
Cha Cha Cha - The Peanut Vendor (Prez Prado)
Samba - Groove Is In The Heart (Deeelite)
Jive - Caroline (Status Quo)
Paso Doble - Delilah (Tom Jones)
Brilliant. I think you and pt should send in your list to the production company of Strictly. You guys obviously have put some thought into your choices.
If there are two area the show could improve on, it is a wider more adventurous choice of music and better costumes.
I'm trying to sing Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" in 3/4 time; it's not working very well for me. Is that one of the ones designed to irritate the band?
I'd love to do *all* the Latin numbers (including jive) to "Runaround" by Blues Traveler, with the exception of the salsa, which I'd like to do to "Starlight" by Muse. (It could work!) And how about the quickstep to "And They Danced" by the Hooters? "Gold and Silver Waltz" by Lehar for Viennese, and "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor for plain ol' waltz. I don't know what "American Smooth" is; would it work to "Bang A Gong"?
Bought "Gods Behaving Badly" this morning at my trusty independent corner bookshop in Ottawa (in a bid to support such shops over big-box-shops and the internet). It's my read-on-the-bus book (versus bedside book or in-the-bathroom-book), and I'm enjoying it very much so far!
Given I have no sense of identifying a rhythm (I struggled with poerty as well when doing metre) I'm a dead loss to suggest tunes. Besides, partner is not exactly any better gifted than me on the dance floor: he's more of the bouncing up and down in a dramatic punk-esque fashion. Though - bless - he did try and waltz with me in Grand Central Station, NY so points for trying!
I suppose I could always ask to take JessicaNotStevenson's place with David Tennant on the waltz from Family of Blood...
I LOVE this game, but it's going to take a while. I'll get back to you!! I adore Ian Waite but I'm too short for him, ditto Matthew, Brendan gives me the creeps, so does Anton but in a different way, Vincent Simone no no no, I don't want to get caught up in That Love Triangle, so I'll have to fight you over Darren. Can we take turns?
First choice: Ian Waite
Second choice: Darren Bennett
Waltz – Moon River (Dress: an homage to Ms. Hepburn, with opera gloves and tiara, but without cigarette holder/raybans)
Viennese Waltz – My resistance is low (Hate the VW so don’t really care. Wearing something floaty and tulle-y, a touch of the Norman Parkinsons).
Foxtrot – Beyond the sea (so can relive Ewan/Cam fantasy from ‘A life less ordinary')
Quickstep – Almost like being in love. Bias cut satin all the way.
Rhumba – The look of love (Dusty Springfield) Oh yes I’m loving myself sick in this one.
American Smooth – In other words (Frank Sinatra)
Tango – Roxanne (Now I am Satine in Moulin Rouge, back to Ewan fantasy again)
Argentinian Tango – erm…this is hard! Give up.
Salsa – I’ve pushed Flav out of the way and I’m shimmying to Vehicle with Matt this week
Cha Cha Cha - Brazil da da dad a dad a da maybe some maracas get the party started?
Samba – Mas que nada (Would nipple tassles work this week?)
Jive – Johnny be good (but I’ll probably get a speed wobble on)
Paso Doble – oh God I don’t know Match of the Day theme tune will that do?
You're right, Harvest Moon is a steady 4/4 which ruins the fantasy somewhat, but in my imagination I'm being spun round once to every bar anyway. A replacement waltz could be What's New Pussycat, but it lacks the romance.
Excellent effort everyone, and Miss Babs: good work styling yourself for every song! Persephone thanks for buying the book, sadly I am not coming to Ottowa on my Canada tour but look out for some press in January...
I'm off to buy your book at the weekend. If it's half as good as your blog I reckon it will be brilliant.
Bless you missbabs. I should warn you though, there's a lot less dancing in it. (There is a little bit, you'll be glad / unsurprised to hear...)
Ooh this is the hardest thing I've done in AGES! 2 to go. But I'm not certain about any of them.
Right, I don't think I'm going to get any further with this for at least the next hour. So here goes:
Since it's fantasy, I will be dancing with Ian Waite (winning over Matthew Cutler on account of height only) to the gayest song list imaginable. This being too radical a notion even for a fantasy contest, I will take the lovely Camilla D and we will get Arlene alliterating in her appraisal of the following:
Waltz: There Are Worse Things I Could Do (from Grease)
Viennese Waltz: Edelweiss (from The Sound Of Music)
Foxtrot: Begin The Begunie (Porter / Ella Fitzgerald)
Quickstep: Puttin’ On The Ritz (Berlin / Fitzgerald)
Rumba: All Time Love (Will Young)
American Smooth: The Street Where You Live (from My Fair Lady)
Tango: Walking On Broken Glass (Annie Lennox)
Argentine Tango: Take A Bow (Madonna)
Salsa: Maria (Blondie) – salsafied
Cha Cha: Left Outside Alone (Anastacia) - chachaed
Samba: Because We Can (from Moulin Rouge) - sambafied
Jive: Walking On Sunshine (Katrina and the Waves) or possibly something more obvious from ‘Grease’. This will be our ‘disappointing’ dance, in which we will fail to ‘really come alive’ and we will either cry or be angry depending on how ‘personal’ the comments were.
Paso Doble: something trad with no vocal OR Dschinghis Khan (by Dschinghis Khan, German Eurovision entry 1979 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJefVspR88M)
Pedro I laughed out loud when I saw your reference to your "disappointing" dance to Katrina and the Waves. But I got worried when I read "Because we can" from Moulin Rouge. I have seen Moulin Rouge approximately 96,000 times and never once heard "Because we can". This has elicited mild to moderate feelings of panic. Please enlighten me. Thanks, and Keep Dancin'! Ah relief, just about to hit Publish your comment and remembered it's Norman's Because we Can (Can Can). Thank God for that. I am still a fan fan fan.
Post a Comment