Basically, you should stop reading my review now and read the book instead. But seeing as how you are here, TBTCI is a fascinating exploration of the key emerging concept in brain science of neuroplasticity - the idea that far from being a fixed machine which, once damaged, cannot be repaired, the brain is a fluid, living entity where different functions compete for space. The things you do remap your brain; the things you do a lot remap your brain a lot. (I'm simplifying a tad.) And parts of your brain that might usually do one thing are capable of doing others, particularly if trained in the right ways, which gives immense hope to those who are brain damaged, by birth, accident, stroke and so on. Some of the stories here are, no pun intended, mind-blowing: from a woman born retarded who cured herself, to another who was born, and lives and functions, with only half a brain.
This then gives hope to those of us who are not brain damaged but who might have behavioural patterns we are unhappy with. By repeating the patterns, we've worn tracks in our minds which are hard to get out of, which explains why we keep doing the same harmful things over and over. But like any other kind of damage, we can train and practice and get our brains onto a better path. (When I say we, I do mean me, by the way, though perhaps you will recognise yourself also.) Does this sound self-helpy? It isn't meant to. More that the book provides a deep insight into what it actually means, at the level of your personal brain chemistry, when you think of who you are and what you might be trying to change. (There I go with you. I still mean me.)
It's utterly inspiring stuff. Though as a caveat, you will have to have a high tolerance for vivisection, as the researchers in the book are constantly severing monkeys' spinal nerves and sewing kittens' eyes shut. If you like the sound of it - the book, not the vivisection - there's more on the author's website and the book is available in all the usual places. Also, can we pause for a moment to admire this author photo, taken by Denise Grant? This is what a psychoanalyst should look like, no?

All this makes me think about how I'd like to read more non-fiction. I didn't go near the stuff after school and university because I thought it would be all like textbooks, but in recent years I've found I've missed all the learning I took for granted when I was growing up, and now I want to find out more about this world of ours, goddammit. (Not god damn the world. That would be a foolhardy invitation. It's just an expression.) Dearest blog friends, can you recommend some great non-fiction for me to read? Other books on diverse factual topics that I've read and loved have included The Shadow of the Sun (Kapuscinski), Easy Riders, Raging Bulls (Biskind), The Age of Absurdity (Michael Foley) - that may be one for another blog post, in fact, so brilliant is it. But in the meantime, recommendations please.
Have just realised it's Monday. So here's a themed Music Monday - Hand In Your Head by Money Mark. Here's a fact for you: the first time I heard this, I thought the lyrics were "I've got my hand in your hair and I'm pulling out all of your mites."

9 comments:
I love me some non-fiction. Here are a few of my favourites:
The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester. Almost anything by SW is fascinating if endlessly discursive. I was really taken by this tale of how the OED came to be. I came away with a new appreciation of the Victorian age as one in which people thought any endeavour was possible. I also wonder if anyone today is quite as erudite as Dr Murray who pulled it all together. His job application letter to the British Museum would give modern polymaths something to measure themselves by.
Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. He has also written a history of Cod. I'm waiting for "Potato" as the final element in his Fish Supper trilogy.
Howard Hughes: The Untold Story by Peter Harry Brown and Pat H. Broesk. Dude lived an extraordinary life. If it was fiction you'd struggle to find it believable.
I've been dipping in and out of TBTCI for a couple of years now. I purchased it three years ago as a gift for my mum (a former physio and your fellow in neuroscience nerd-dom -- she was a great proponent of the Bobath method during her career) and she loved it so much, she forgot I'd gotten it for her and gave it to me, asking if I'd heard of this marvelous book....
With a child on the autism spectrum, you can imagine how pertinent this book is for me, yet I find it a bit painful to read. It seems to underline all the areas where I'm not trying hard enough...
Are you familiar with the television series based on this?
I highly recommend The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow. It's all about how randomness is everywhere, and things that might appear to be patterns are actually just the inevitable consequence of doing things for long enough. It made me realise what a fascinating subject probability is: though I still can't understand how bookies work. Definitely recommended.
If you say you haven't read Steven Johnson's Ghost Map I won't believe you, especially as I heard about it through Crockatt & Powell.
Mark Thomas's As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela is an excellent book about the arms trade.
I read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach this year and it was great. She's got a few other, slightly less grim-sounding, titles that I'm looking forward to reading too (including Bonk, about sex, and Packing for Mars, about space travel). Despite the topic of Stiff, it was a fascinating and sometimes funny read. I did a review of it for school here:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/103965466
I'm going to check out some of the other suggestions here too, they all sound great!
'Leviathan, or The Whale' by Philip Hoare is amazing.
Favourite non-fictions (the ones I return to time and again): Not Even Wrong by Paul Collins (about the aftermath of his son's autism diagnosis and things Collins found out about perception as a result - Collins also wrote a book about Wye which isn't quite so engrossing); The Ghost Map by Stephen Berlin Johnson (about John Snow and the Broad Street cholera outbreak of 1854); A Night to Remember and The Night Lives On, both by Walter Lord, both about the Titanic; The Lost Boys by Andrew Birkin (for those of you who thought the movie Finding Neverland told the real story of J.M. Barrie); A Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer, should you ever get your hands on a TARDIS; Kent State by James Michener (a contemporary examination of the tragedy of April 4th, 1970); and And Now...Here's Max by Max Ferguson, a hysterical account of working for the radio in Canada in the 1950s. Must...stop...myself...
I don't get much of a chance to read these days. But I found 'Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen' by Christopher McDougall a really interesting read.
It's somewhere between a serious anthropological text, a travel book, and a long and improbable drinking story. It has a great cast, including an almost superhuman ultramarathoner, Jenn and the Bonehead, Barefoot Ted, Mexican drug dealers, a ghostly ex-boxer, a heartbroken father, and of course the Tarahumara Indians, arguably the greatest runners in the world.
Anyway, it's a good read.
Hello Everybody,
Below are the most recommended bitcoin exchange services (BUY/SELL):
Coinbase: $1 minimum transaction
CoinMama
Earn free Bitcoins with the best BITCOIN faucet rotator:
IACBit.org Faucet Rotator
Post a Comment