Just popped out to the local corner shop to get the paper and noticed a copy of my favourite novel, Catch 22, on the counter. I asked which of the two men was reading it, and the chap in question replied, in very broken English, that it was his favourite English-language book, that he had read it five or six times in Bulgarian translation, and was now making his way through it in English in order to improve his language skills. Needless to say I was bloody impressed. And also intrigued. If you had to recommend one novel and one novel only for someone to learn English from, which would you choose? I think Catch 22 is a bloody good one, difficult as it is. It's clever, it's funny, it's original and imaginative, plus alongside your English you can study the great British values of sarcasm, irritation with bureaucracy, and contempt for your inferior superiors. (I am, of course, aware that it is an American novel, but even so.) Any other suggestions?
9 comments:
Ridley Walker.
Scott, you are a blue meanie.
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons - it has everything in it!
Ha! Cold Comfort Farm is an excellent book, but how do you translate 'scrattling' or 'clettering' into Bulgarian? Plus it's not terribly modern, is it?
How about Gods Behaving Badly, Marie? ;) Or Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic - it has the merit of being simple to read, while perfectly capturing our capitalist society.
I confess I have never been able to get on with Catch 22. *blushes*
OK, sorry.
Trainspotting.
Oh Pauline, I'm so glad you said it...I've never liked Catch-22 either!
From my own country, I'd suggest something like Robertson Davies' Mixture of Frailties for its mixture of gentle humour and pathos. Another idea might be a book for a younger reader that an adult reader could enjoy equally. How about From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler?
Perspephone, I've never heard of either of those books, shamefully.
Pauline, you flatter me :) Actually I get the impression that GBB is being used for the purposes of learning, but I might save that for another blog post...
Marie, I can let you off A Mixture of Frailties (even if it is my very favourite Robertson Davies novel), but you must must read From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler. It will not take you long, but you'll enjoy every short minute.
Pretty much anything by P G Wodehouse, one of the greatest esponents of English prose of the 20th century. Yes, it may lead to a somewhat out-of-fashion strain of English, but that's never done me any harm, and how better to appreciate the wonderful subtlties of the language than dipping into the author of (plucking a book at random from my shelf): "A certian critic - for such men, I regret to say, do exist - made a nasty remark about my kast novel that it contained 'all the usual Wodehouse characters under different names'. He has proabably by now been eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha: but if he still survives he will not be able to make a similar charge against Summer Lightning. With my superior intelligence, I have outgeneralled the man this time by putting in all the olde Wodehouse characters under the same names. Pretty silly it will make him feel, I rather fancy." And that in a preface, mark you
Post a Comment