Doing a spot of vanity surfing, I noticed that Gods Behaving Badly has some new friends on Amazon. Usually, the 'Customers Who Bought This Title Also Bought' category is filled with light contemporary fiction and the odd similarly-themed novel such as 'Jitterbug Perfume' (which I haven't read, as I'm certain that reading similarly-themed novels is a one way ticket to unhealthy comparisons and depression or, possibly, triumphalism and unattractive crowing.) But suddenly, it's all 'Gods, Whores and Slaves; Woman in Classical Antiquity' and 'The Mirror of the Gods: Classical Mythology in Renaissance Art'. Ladies and gentlemen, it would appear that I am on a reading list. Students will be speeding through my novel as fast as they possibly can, reading only the first and last paragraph of each chapter and desperately hoping it won't come up in any essay questions in the exam! If they are anything like me anyway. I have to say it is genuinely exciting and flattering to think that somebody - somebody who presumably knows their onions - thought my book was worth recommending alongside the likes of Metamorphoses and Medea.
Where reading lists are found, googling surely is not far behind, so please do say hello if you have reached my blog because your university (or A level Classical Civilisations?) teacher forced you to read my book. On the one hand, I feel I should apologise because I don't think you're going to come out the other end magically empowered to storm through your dissertation. On the other hand, I'm guessing GBB will be a more fun read than The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology. Enjoy! And just so you know, sadly by this stage the only honest answers I can ever give you to 'Why did you do x in your book?' is 'I don't know', 'I can't remember', 'It was the only way I could think of moving the plot along' or 'I nicked it from Ovid'.
On a completely separate note I can't help but notice that they are flogging the audio version of GBB for £45.50. For that money, I will come round and read it to you myself*.
*Disclaimer: no I won't.
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

10 comments:
Jitterbug Perfume is nothing like your book and is fucking brilliant. You can borrow it when you come round next week.
By which I don't mean to imply that your book isn't brilliant.
Obviously.
Goes without saying.
Didn't Marina Lewycka have a similar problem with A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian? Also, I remember gently suggesting that my local Waterstone's move the brilliant Julian Rathbone's Kings of Albion from the history section to the fiction shelves. Sigh.
I rather like Amazon's If you liked that, you'll like this... suggestions. It allows me to browse, which is something I like to do in REAL book-shops.
I am curious to know at which price the disclaimer about "audiobook" will dissappear...
Make me an offer I can't refuse...
£46.50 + piece of cake + Strictly DVD
@Scott - good recovery there!
@curiousbookfan Not there yet...
£47.50 + 2 pieces of cake + Ultimate Complete Pack Strictly DVD
You're in good company: "Gods, Whores and Slaves" is a really good book and I'd recommend Pomeroy's "Spartan Women" as well. The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology is a bit tatt. though, and GBB definitely has a higher joke per page count, you're right.
Post a Comment