Sunday, 23 November 2008

Never Mind The Strictly Come X Factor!

So I couldn't be bothered to write separate posts about all of last night's TV. So sue me.

Strictly up first, chronologically speaking. Of course, I mooted a boycott due to Sergeantgate, but it's hard to maintain a boycott when you're alone at home of a cold Saturday evening and it's just there. Strictly this week seemed to have been designed with the intent of distracting truculent bloggers from writing about John Sergeant. By which I mean that you might switch on with the full intent of writing about John Sergeant, but it's bloody hard to stay focused when Tess Daly is wearing a black bondage boob tube with a tablecloth tucked in the front. (Later in the evening, Simon Amstell on Never Mind the Buzzcocks quizzed guest Alesha Dixon (still Britain's most perfect female) on her views about Tess being "dead behind the eyes", to which I would reply: so would you be if forced to dress as Undertaker Barbie.) Within two dances, the judges had nearly drawn blood in an argument over Christine and Matthew's unremarkable [insert whatever dance they were doing here; cannot be bothered to look it up.] Overmarking Rachel Steven's Foxtrot with four perfect tens was a late salvo to encourage viewer outrage away from the JS target, but none of this was ever going to work against Kristina Rihanoff's tears of farewell. "I admire you, I respect you, I adore you," she told John. Angry viewer from London allowed herself a little snivel.

But no time for mawkishness, because it was straight over to ITV for X Factor: the Take That special.

First question: am I the only person to have noticed that Take That's new single sounds exactly like Coldplay? Consider the evidence:



Also, that Mark can't stop wearing hats: which is celebrity shorthand for being bald.

Unexpectedly I totally loved the X Factor Take That special, mainly because it turns out that Take That songs are versatile / bland enough (delete according to inclination) to be adapted to any number of different styles, so everyone put in good performances, rather than the uncomfortable constipated karaoke that so often results. The other reasons were that they just seem so damn happy to be there, that I unexpectedly have a crush on Howard (I think: possibly Jason, one of ones who doesn't sing, anyway, and didn't take part in the rehearsal process because they have nothing to contribute), and also, after all the John Sergeant bitching, that it is quite refreshing to have a programme where all the contestants are fresh-faced ingenues that it is impossible to be horrible about, and the nastiness is mostly contained in the endless Simon-Louis war (Team Simon!). Oh, and in the results show, they had both Same Difference, recast as Sandy and Danny do High School Musical with BIG EXPRESSIVE FACES, *and* the singing albino robot butler Rhydian, performing their new singles.

Finally I watched Never Mind the Buzzcocks, in the course of which I discovered that Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics is a tosser (which I already knew) but knows it and doesn't care (which I didn't know, and makes me like him a whole lot better.)

8 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Nice reviews! I think I thought more kindly of E&E (though, yeah, the whole thing with the kids not aging bugged us too) but otherwise I thought it lovely -- a perfect BBC2 feast. And nice to know that with Tennant and Serkis at the helm this could even be found a Saturday night slot. Would be interested in the viewing figures...

Jane Henry said...

I couldn't BELIEVE how many things I wanted to watch on Saturday night... Sadly I am jungle addicted at the moment, so I had to choose between recording Einstein and Outnumbered. Working out Outnumbered was on later in the week I opted for Einstein, which I still haven't watched because last night we watched Strictly and taped Top Gear, then watched Survivors (and I know how bad this sounds taped the jungle),and tonight I have Spooks and the jungle to contend with but as I'll be swimming I won't be watching either. I might get to Einstein on Tuesday as I think that's a bit of a famine night TV wise (Wednesday it's Little Dorrit and that repeat of Outnumbered.) Who says the license fee isn't worth the money???

PS I have done a very bad thing and introduced the ten year old to the Jungle and now she is obsessed with Bush Tucker trials and insisting I tape it for her because its on too late, and is it my imagination or is this series much ruder then it used to be? Or am I more sensitive because the ten year old is watching?

Electric Dragon said...

E&E was excellent, notwithstanding a couple of nitpicks over the science & history (I can go into this in eye-glazing detail if you want). I thought Serkis was great as Einstein, close to how I imagine he actually was - Einstein's long been a bit of a hero of mine. Eddington needed a touch more arrogance. There's a famous (and probably apocryphal story) about Eddington being interviewed shortly after the eclipse experiment - the journalist asks him "Is it true only three people in the world understand Einstein's theory?". Eddington hesitates. The journo says "don't be so modest, Professor" - to which Eddington replies "No, I'm just trying to think who the third person might be".

The tablecloth (or more commonly rubber sheet) analogy is just as much a cliché in popular explanations of General Relativity as "The Quest" in narratives.

Persephone said...

You were bothered by the ageless kids (which I totally missed); I was bothered by the chatty Quaker worship meeting. (Maybe it was after worship had ended...) I think the best result of these things is checking out the real story to find out what happened. (The actual story behind Finding Neverland, for example, is so much more interesting, and disturbing, then the dramatic license taken in the movie; J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys by Andrew Birkin is a fascinating read.)

What was particularly fascinating for me was that Longford was on our local educational channel last night, featuring Jim Broadbent and Andy Serkis in vastly different roles from those they played in E&E. There's another story that's probably way more interesting than dramatic license allowed...

Unknown said...

"singing albino robot butler Rhydian" heh heh - spot on!

Anonymous said...

You talk far too much. You should really go out and gain some skills or talents instead of being nothing more than an easily pleased couch potato. Insulting the amazing Kelly Jones shows how little minded you really are. Even if you don't like his song writing you cannot deny that he is a talented singer...or is being tone deaf another one of your failings?

Persephone said...

And the wildly courageous "Anonymous" strikes again...then bravely runs away...

Marie said...

Oh, the Anonymous ones always come back to see how you react. Actually I like Kelly Jones's voice but his demeanour is wildly arrogant, as I'm sure he himself would agree.