Monday, 3 November 2008

Me On Telly

If you can stand it, there's a half hour long interview with me here. The interview was done for German TV so you will have to negotiate a German website and guess some of the things to click on. Also, you'll need pop ups enabled. And the first minute is in German before it goes into English. But if you get through that you can enjoy two girls in short skirts on a sofa, one of whom is me, one of whom should really have brushed her hair first, one of whom is me.

10 comments:

Persephone said...

I got it! It took a lot of clicking around because my German is an unlucky mix of The Sound of Music, WWII films, Beethoven, and Muss i Denn. Your hair looked very "just rolled out of bed" --- quite becoming, I thought. Your interviewer, while well-prepared with lots of good questions (evidently hadn't heard of Men Behaving Badly) and beautifully fluent in English, had dishpan hands and needed to get her roots touched up, so on the grooming side, you definitely came out ahead!

It took me three quarters of the interviews to notice that your couch was located inside a large blue book, and I was stunned at how smoothly, thoroughly, (Oxford comma, right?) and articulately you tackled each question. I think I'd be a lousy interview...

Rob Buckley said...

Christ. I can still speak German. You could knock me over with a feather, I'm so surprised.

Not quite sure why they did the whole intro in German then the rest of the show in English: the logic of that escapes me.

Nicely done though. You strike me as practised at answering specific questions about Gods Behaving Badly. Would that be correct?

PS Is the whole show called "On the Blue Sofa" or do they split it into specially prosaically titled segments designed to illustrate parts of German grammar (eg the next guests will be "Next to the short host", "In front of the white wall", and "Holding the giant microphone"?)

Rosby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosby said...

I've been studying German for six years. I'm doing an A-level in it. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE AROUND WEBSITES. Gagh. I think I need to re-train myself.

Great interview! You looked just fine and answered the questions brilliantly. When was it filmed?

(Thought you'd be interested - my friend Tara fell absolutely in love with Gods Behaving Badly when she came over a couple of weeks ago. She was reading it every spare moment she had (I actually had to get her to put it down so she could meet John Barrowman) and completely loved it. She says thank you!)

Rob Buckley said...

"Gagh. I think I need to re-train myself."

I find ordering really obscure films from Amazon.de gets you up to speed in no time.

Jane Henry said...

Great interview Marie. And loved the way the interviewer said adwice (a particular German tick I like). You looked great and very confident answering the questions (am still cringing at how crap I was in front of a camera the other week - the photographer told me I looked terrified. And he was right.)

Marie said...

I didn't notice that I was on a giant book until I was watching the interview back. Weirdly I think I would have been more nervous if I had noticed.

MediumRob - practised at answering specific questions about GBB: oh yes. It would have been a very different proposition if I'd had to do that interview when I first started doing publicity for GBB back in June 2007. After a year and a half of it I've had a lot of time to become the confident, articulate interviewee you all so kindly mention. The way that I stop myself getting nervous each time is to remind myself that I am the world's number one expert on me and my book...

And I do favour an Oxford Comma myself, despite having gone to the Other Place.

Marie said...

Rosby: hurrah for Tara! I am a bit worried about what useless junk they are teaching you in your German A-level which doesn't allow you to navigate around a website. Is it like when I did German GCSE and it was all about how to order Black Forest Gateau?

Also, I forgot to mention how MediumRob's differently named show segments had me laughing out loud.

Marie said...

Oops - a third reply - it was filmed in Frankfurt two and a half weeks ago.

Jane Henry said...

Marie you cannot have excelled yourself as much as I did when asked in my German O Level Oral Exam what I had for tea the night before and all I could remember was Apfel Strudel and Kartoffeln. She asked me THREE times if I had anything else to eat and answer came there nein.