Barack Obama's wonderful acceptance speech is both on video and transcribed
here. Seriously, the man can talk. It actually made me a bit tearful, which isn't something I say about political speeches every day. And not only in a good way. I'm with John Cleese in Clockwise on this: it's not the despair, it's the hope, the terrible hope. It's hard not to see Obama as some kind of magic wand that will heal the whole world. He's so attractive and so charismatic and says all the right things. (I've learned to be wary of men like that.) And then there is the glorious optimism of all the people who voted for him, and in particular the culmination of the dreams of the civil rights movement and of black America. (Damn, am going to have to type fast, I am getting teary again.) But in the end he is just some bloke. And the USA and the world are in such a lousy state. The reason hope is so awful is that it's so high risk. The fear of disappointment is so great. Will we look back in four or eight years' time, disillusioned, wondering what all the fuss was about? I sincerely hope not.
And while we're on the subject of disappointment, can we just discuss this?

Oh Michelle, what were you thinking? The greatest moment of your husband's life and you choose a dress that combines to make you look pregnant and funereal and covered in blood all at once? I hate to say it but this looks as if you chose it just in case your husband was assassinated at the critical moment, so that it wouldn't show the stains.
10 comments:
As you raised the subject you can currently get 400/1 on Joe McBride to be the next president of the USA.
I mean Biden, obviously. Joe McBride is the author of the Frank Capra biography I can glimpse put of the corner of my eye as a type and which must have slipped into my mind without me realising!
It is not often Ms. Obama makes such a mistake, but this was a wingdinger. I thought her dress looked like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture show, with this bizarre bib and apron combo. Such a shame, for as you say, all else was spectacular. Inspiration, hope, doesn't have to be postponed. It is undeniably wonderful for being fleeting.
He's the new Clinton.
The Man is inexperienced. And he is inheriting a mess the like of which has not been seen in a long while, although we will see a similar inheritence in 2010 in the UK, I fear.
I wish him all the luck in the world because he is going to need it.
Go fot it, Mr. President-elect.
I think the sense of occasion over-rides Michelle's fashion faux-pas, although you do dissect it with impressive clarity!
He's the new Tony, Blair, as you say (and I've been saying this for many a month now), so we should all be slightly nervous.
And Michelle's dress does not reassure me in the slightest.
She's got spectacularly good legs though hasn't she?
Actually I think the on-the-knee cut of this dress makes them look kind of stumpy.
take a look at this article on the dress:
http://www.mamarazzi.org/
Post a Comment