Word reaches me that the X Factor winner will be recording a cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' for their debut single. Putting aside that being a bit like the Strictly winner doing a showdance to Wagner, it does help one massively in the dilemma of who to vote for. The choice of 'Hallelujah' does point heavily towards an anticipated Diana win. Here she is mutilating 'Yellow'. She could do that to 'Hallelujah' too - "Remember h'when I moved in yeeew..."
But wouldn't it be much more fun to hand 'Hallelujah' over to softcore R'n'B (rhythm n boredom) quartet JLS (or as I always think of them, John Lewis Partnership)? Here they are paying homage to the Fab 4:
Or, my own particular favourite choice in this context, Eoghan Quigg. According to the X Factor website, Eoghan "grew up in Derry, Northern Ireland and is currently studying for his GCSEs... Singing since the age of two along to Disney cartoons, Eoghan would love to be the male equivalent of an Irish Leona Lewis. He found his voice whilst singing with the school choir and from then on, sang all the lead roles in the school musicals. Justin Timberlake is Eoghan’s idol and he got to the finals of Irish School Stars in their Eyes two years ago."
Ignoring the startling news that Justin Timberlake got to the finals of Irish Schools Stars In Their Eyes two years ago, Eoghan would seem to be the perfect choice to carry off the depth of Leonard Cohen's lyrics. Here he is with the equally profound Never Forget by Take That:
GCSEs? 11 plus, surely. Anyway, game over, he has my vote. I cannot wait to see him sing 'Hallelujah'.
And finally, a reminder of how it should be done:
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

14 comments:
'Hallelujah' for Christmas? Putting aside for one moment that it is one of the best songs Of All Time, is this really what we need for Christmas? A load of people sobbing every time they switch the radio on?! Hmm. I knew Leonard Cohen was hard up for cash these days, but still...
(Oh, and very humble thanks for linking to my blog. *squee*)
Good god. This could drive Dan away from the x-factor for life.
If anyone but Alexandra wins, it'll be a bloody disaster.
Since I feel deeply unqualified to comment on X Factor I will restrict myself to re-promoting the lovely Welsh version of Hallelujah by Brigyn
Diana FTW. I have to say that because the children told me so.
I only hope if Eoghan (sp?) wins he doesn't cry when he's singing Hallelujah.
I'd like the boy band to sing it myself as they look singularly unqualified for the task, but the children reliably inform me that bands never win the X Factor. I do not know how they have come by this information as this is the first year they've ever watched it, but I bow to the 12/10 year olds's superior knowledge...
PS Lisa I do at least have some vague notions of who these people are, but I think Brigyn should come in as a last minute contender and sing his version. Or maybe the X Factor winner should sing it in Welsh...
It's an odd choice, I mean ol' Lenny's songs aren't exactly designed to show off golden throats as it were.
Eoghan seriously creeps me out.
Diana FTW
Okay, put me out of my misery: WTF is FTW?
I've seen the kd lang clip before, of course (you should have seen her when she serenaded Leonard Cohen himself; it nearly blew me through the wall), but haven't plucked up the courage to view the other clips. I don't like "Yellow" at the best of times; do you think Diana might improve it for me? Nope, I still can't look...
"For The Win".
Colette: steel yourself, it looks like Diana v Eoghan for the final.
Is it just me or does KD Lang bear a remarkable similarity to Tony Hadley?
Persephone I agree about Yellow. Don't have a clue what it's all about and Diana's version doesn't help.
Lisa - thanks for the Brigyn pointer. Great version.
Mr Bro: 'tis a pleasure! Am hoping that I can keep the ball rolling for making it Xmas number 1!
I demand a Same Difference version of "Hallelujah".
With "Fairytale of New York" as the B-side.
Now *that* is a Christmas Number One...
it is of course academic now that she's out, but it's ironic that you should speculate about diana "mutilating" the song when it's her rendition of it (here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx4vvorfh2I&feature=related ) that has brought the song back into the public conscience in the first place
Yes, you're right, it was Diana. Or Shrek.
Well, your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
This is the second verse.Isn't this refering to tying someone up & some sort of sexual act taking place.Not exactly Christmasy - more sexually diversive
Post a Comment