Just passing on my personal congratulations...Anyway, as well as voting for President this week, some states were voting on issues that also take the temperature of current American thinking.
California, Arizona and Florida voted to ban gay marriage in their states. (Boo! Also, Obama spoke out against gay marriage, which makes me feel a little depressed.)
Michigan voted to allow medical use of marijuana. (Yay!)
Nebraska voted to ban affirmative action based on gender or race. (Um, well, there are arguments either way...)
Washington State voted to allow doctor-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients. (I am in favour, but "yay" seems a callous way of putting it.)
It'll be interesting to see how these pan out and if they catch on nationally / internationally.

4 comments:
I am worried that Obama is going to prove to be a little bit two-dimensional.
Ha - I recognise that photo! I guess that's the nearest either of us are ever going to get to Mr. Obama now. I went to his last rally in Manassas on Monday night in the hope of getting up close and personal - only to discover that there were 85,000 other people in the way.
Please know that I'm expecting you out here for the inauguration.
E xx
Also - you forgot to note that Maryland voted to legalise (sorry, legalize) slot machines on Tuesday. So if we can't get tickets for the inauguration, we can head up there instead - apparently there will be 15,000 'slots' to keep us occupied.
According to Martin O'Malley, the MD State Governor who proposed the amendment,'slots are badly needed to help fix the state's big budget deficits'. Do you think Hank Paulson could adopt the same approach to fix the US economy? A fruit machine on every corner and we'll be sorted.
I really hoped that Obama would win and I am really happy that he has, I think he has a lot to offer.
The fact that he speak against gay marriage is mortifying, but I must say that I hope that he will bring enough to make it worth while.
I say this as a gay man and I dont say it lightly. At the end of the day I dont live in America so its easier but its something I struggle to deal with as I think he will be great for the world.
Post a Comment