Saturday, 13 October 2007

Strictly Come Dancing: Week 2


Week two of Strictly Come Dancing and I can report that we have dropped to Beltcon 3: an incongruous solid metal affair that was only averagely ugly and left plenty of my attention for the female dancers.

Which was just as well, because to be blunt, they wiped the floor with last week's male debutantes. I was biting my nails to the quick because Stephanie Beacham was the first out and I was terrified that she would be dreadful and leave the show, as, personality-wise, she's my favourite by miles; in fact she acquitted herself well with a decent quick-step which I hope will help keep her in for a few more weeks yet. In fact none of the women were bad by any means, aside from Kate maybe, but as she was on crutches until three days ago it's impossible to judge her potential. Letitia Dean, it must be said, was not remotely assisted in her enterprise by being made to wear a giant royal blue nappy.

The best of the girls were Alesha (official woman who talks too much and possible blog mascot), Kelly (glorious, but hampered by dancing with ghastly Brendan) and Penny (keeping Rod & Bod under control tonight). I took an instant dislike to Gabby Logan, but I hope she stays in for a while because her naked competitiveness is a joy to behold. Her face visibly plumetted when she didn't hit the top of the leaderboard - I haven't seen anything like it since Karen GIVE ME THAT TROPHY Hardy last year.

(Speaking of Karen, I wanted to watch with her expert commentary today, but discovered that it made the picture go off, which is not ideal in a dancing competition. Did anybody else have any luck with that?)

Anyway, having watched all the girls this week, plus the boys' woeful merengue, I am posting my new predictions for top 3: Kelly, Penny and Matt. Penny most likely to win due to everybody hating Brendan.

8 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Marie this is most helpful. I am new to SCD,and I haven't a clue what's going on. But am watchingin the interests of research as my current wip features ballroom dancing and sadly I don't have time to go to classes (luckily my agent does so I have picked her brains which would be brilliant if I could find the notebook I made my notes in).

So thank you for your clarity. After tonight I now know what both a quickstep and a rumba are. The rumba is going to prove particularly useful...

Oh and I love Rod and Bod. More of them please...

Catherine said...

I reckon Alesha will pip Kelly to the top 3. Kelly smiles too much and it's already bugging me...

I do reckon Gethin might be a contender though if they give him the Matt Dawson treatment. He's far too shy, bless him.

And as for Beltgate, the damn thing sparked off a ten minute yelling argument between the five women in my house last night. I'm the only one who found it hideous... so pleased to know I'm not alone!

Unknown said...

I'm tipping Alesha for victory. She's in the "bubbly and determined" category of that girl from Eastenders who danced with Vincent last year, and in the absence of an obvious male heartthrob for teenage girls to vote for, I think she'll take the votes of that crucial demographic.

And isn't it time that somebody at the BBC gently persuaded Brucie to step down? I find it excruciating, waiting for him to get someone's name wrong again/mess up a link/interrupt the judges to obsequiously thank the contestants for bothering to show up.

Loving the new series, obviously :-)

Anonymous said...

I thought the judges were terribly unfair to Gabby - for me, it was the best dance of the night. Kelly didn't do it for me at all - nice to look at, but not as good as Penny and Gabby. If John can lose weight and Matt can improve a bit, then I'd look out for those too. Remember Darren Gough...

Alun said...

Marie, I'd like to officially thank this blog for getting me in touch with my feminine side.

Here we go:

Alesha was outstanding, and Penny unbelievably classy. But Kelly has more va-va-voum in her little finger than any of the others in their whole bodies (Ola a possible exception).

Agree about Gabby.

Never mind the belt...the fringe, the fringe.

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Bruce needs to go. He keeps piping up as though he's the fifth judge, and when he workshops a particular step it's just excrutiating. And getting names wrong, as Carolyn said, really isn't helpful.

Alice said...

Other people who hate Brendan! Other peple who hate Bruce! *clings*

I feel bad for Kelyy, because she seems perfect lovely, and she has to dance with Brendan. It's just not fair. They seem to be getting on all right so far, (though rumour has it she nearly walked out of the show last week,) but imagine what he'll be like if she has a bad dance.

Bruce really needs to retire soonish. He's so unfunny he's painful.

Anonymous said...

So glad about the dialog. It gives context to my zipping through the routines on youtube.

Marie, think it a good thing to make predictions each week. We can then calculate a mathematical weighting (make a mathematician happy)or handicap system to predict the finals.