Thursday, 4 December 2008

Ultimate Mix Tape: Redux


Remember The Ultimate Mix Tape which I made for my nephew when he turned eleven? Made with much input from you lovely souls, as I recall.

Well, I have just spoken to my sister who tells me that it is the only CD that they listen to in the car and now the family at large (Mum, Dad, two boys, two girls, ranging in age from 11 to 3) (not including parents: they're in their forties) have asked for a sequel. Which is where you come in. What seminal tunes have I left out? How can I progress from these basics - some new musical styles, perhaps?

That original tracklisting once again:

1. Space Oddity - David Bowie
2. Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
3. Alright - Supergrass
4. Park Life - Blur
5. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones
6. Common People - Pulp
7. Hanging on the Telephone - Blondie
8. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
9. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
10. The Lovecats - The Cure
11. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
12. I Fought The Law - The Clash
13. Baggy Trousers - Madness
14. Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
15. Surfin' USA - The Beach Boys
16. Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
17. The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
18. I'm Only Sleeping - The Beatles
19. Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
20. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
21. Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd

My nephew's favourite was Space Oddity, so we should build on that. Funnily enough it was my favourite song when I was his age as well.

6 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Marie my thirteen year old niece is developing a healthy taste in The Sex Pistols thanks to my sister... Is your nephew too young for Anarchy in the UK I wonder?
Also on the Bowie theme, my lot love Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, but how about exploring Diamond Dogs some...

And did you have any Kaiser Chiefs last time? The twelve year old loves I predict a riot and Ruby, and I think Angry Mob from the new album (Spouse likes Retirement best).

And for the cheese factor I demand you put some Abba in. (OK maybe that only works with girls)

Persephone said...

What about the excellent suggestions you received last time, but were unable to use?

Marie said...

I will certainly be raiding that suggestions cupboard.

Rebecca said...

Some Bob Marley, then his mum can teach him the walking dance.

Waffle said...

Can we have Atomic this time?

Ever fallen in love - buzzcocks?

Strokes - new york city cops?

This isn't very Bowie-esque, sorry. Just good bouncy car songs.

Electric Dragon said...

Man, how to follow a list like that. When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.

Ok, I'm going to throw in some suggestions including some rather more leftfield ones. Not necessarily a coherent list nor in any particular order (with two exceptions)

Let Forever Be - Chemical Brothers
Aquarius - Boards of Canada
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Blue Monday - New Order
California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas
Life of Riley - The Lightning Seeds
Windowlicker - Aphex Twin
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Electricity - Spiritualized
The Revolution will not be Televised - Gil Scott Heron (or Television, The Drug of the Nation - Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy)
R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People
Bachelorette - Björk
Papa's got a Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
Step On - Happy Mondays
Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite
AM180 - Grandaddy (aka Theme from Screenwipe)
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles

(note - Let Forever Be should be early on, Tomorrow Never Knows must be last)