
Hamlet is THE role for a young(ish) actor and so it is inevitable that it goes to the big stars. Next summer, Jude Law will be performing his at the Donmar, and tonight, of course, was supposed to be David Tennant's night. Now I cede to nobody in my admiration of David Tennant, but believe me when I say that I could not have enjoyed tonight's Hamlet more if his back had allowed him to take that lead. I could have enjoyed it as much, perhaps, and in a different way - but not more.
David Tennant is a brilliant, charismatic, lead actor, and his Hamlet I'm certain would have been that of a virtuoso, exceptionally performed and wonderfully entertaining. But I don't think it could possibly have been as heartbreaking as Edward Bennett's. What, for me, made Bennett's performance so magical is that he is not the star. He had not been chosen for his brilliance and charisma. He is, like Hamlet, a man trapped in a story that is much bigger than he is - the understudy thrown into the limelight. What, in sum, made Bennett's Hamlet so special for me was that in many ways he is quite ordinary.
His Hamlet is unprincely, even slightly nerdy. At the start of the play I would go so far as to describe him as goofy. He does not shine brightest on the stage - that honour goes to Patrick Stewart's masterful Claudius, whose power to inspire both love and loathing is made all the more potent by the way his stage presence outshines that of his rather more average nephew. Circumstance has thrown Bennett's Hamlet into a situation which he cannot handle, try as he might. It is too big for him. He is intelligent, he is resourceful, he becomes ruthless, but it isn't enough, because Fate has all the cards. He is a normal person woefully unprepared to do what he is called upon to do. No wonder his self-doubt rings out through all those soliloquies. How can an average bloke decide whether to be or not to be? The sight of an unremarkable man driven to the great heights - and depths - taking on such an immense force, was gripping in a way that I have never experienced Shakespeare to be.
And so, at the end, when Fate plays out its hand bringing Hamlet down and the rest of the court around him, it is heartbreaking. Great heroes are meant to die great deaths. But Bennett's Hamlet is not a great hero, he is one of us, doing his best - and it is not enough. As he dies, surrounded by destruction, he reverts to the decent, flawed person he was all along. It is devastating.
To be clear, there is nothing ordinary about Bennett's acting - he is incredibly skilled. But he is a character actor, not a star, and to see Hamlet performed as a character rather than a star turn was something special, and probably unique to these circumstances.
Praise must also go to the rest of this production, particularly Penny Downie, bringing astonishing emotional complexity to Gertrude, Oliver Ford Davies as a sweet, sad Polonius, and Patrick Stewart, aforementioned, as a surprisingly sympathetic Claudius. The directing by Gregory Doran was exceptional and the production design by Robert Jones wonderfully effective in its simplicity.
All in all, magnificent.

5 comments:
Ok, *now* I'm jealous!
What a marvelous way to see Hamlet!
Good for you Marie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to see the Jude Law Hamlet, so will be interesting to compare notes. In fact, there may be a spare ticket in the party for that...interested? Caveat is that I would not be able to find out until Jan.
Yesterday I went to see 12th Night. Absolutely brilliant. Wonderful production, excellent cast. Jacobi was outstanding - what presence, what control, and some incredible moments, such as when Malvolio, after years of scowling, forced himself to smile... I think he may be gearing up to play Lear. Genius.
Btw, I had a slightly less random encounter the other day with Vincent Simone (it was lunchtime, I know where they train, etc). Rachel wasn't with him, however, so it was really quite dull.
So looking fprward to it now - we're with poorly Chrissie having a snack and then H and I are off to see EB adnd co. We're totally wired - and it will be nice to focus on the play...
Really glad you enjoyed it, and interesting to hear about a different take on the production. Saw DT and co last week (it must have been one of David's last performances) and his version was very different - the cleverest, but least dangerous, person in the court, so consumed with grief that he couldn't think straight.
But wasn't Patrick Stewart brilliant? You could almost believe he was completely innocent, until that moment after the Mousetrap. And Penny Downie at the end!
Can completely concur with Marie's review. I thought it was fabulous. I also agree that I couldn't have enjoyed it more with David Tennant in it. It would have just been different. Hats off to the RSC for their ability to pull rabbits out of hats. Persephone if you're reading, I LOVED Penny Downie. She was magnificent, as was Patrick Stewart. A wonderful magical evening, which I will be reviewing as soon as I've got my pesky rewrites out of the way.
Post a Comment