Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

19 comments:
Gotta be some Girls Aloud. How about their cover of Jump?
And McFly - It's all about you.
Madonna - old school, like Papa Don't Preach, or Material Girl.
Kylie?
Aha - Take on me
EMF - unbelievable
beastie boys - no sleep til brooklyn
what do you mean I am showing my age?
If it's Girls Aloud it's gotta be Sound of the Underground. Just has to be.
And how about Wings Live and Let Die? It's rock with a pop-retro edge...
Alphabeat - Fascination.
The best song never to enter Eurovision.
Prince.
You need some Prince.
Ah now you're talking...
Kylie Wow definitely
Girls Aloud a must
Sugababes Here Come the Girls
Madonna anything you like probably I'd agree Material Girl, but my kids really like Hung Up
Pink Stupid Girls
McFly
Take That
Leona Lewis
ooh this is a good game. Realise my choices are a bit femalecentric, but that's what gets played a lot in our car...
PS Sorry forgot Mika. My kids are obsessed with Happy Ending
Don't we want stuff they haven't heard? Pop as a musical form really seemed to emerge during the sixties, so I'd say we're looking at stuff from that decade and the three following:
Sixties pop: "Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes
"Runaround Sue" Dion and the Belmonts
"Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" John Fred and His Playboy Band (warning: simulated [I hope] orgasm)
"To Love Somebody" - the BeeGees
"A Summer Song" - Chad and Jeremy
"Goodbye" - Mary Hopkins
"Downtown" - Petulia Clark
"Everyday People" - Sly and the Family Stone
"My Boyfriend's Back" - The Angels
Bubblegum Pop (late Sixties, early Seventies): "Down at Lulu's" - The Ohio Express
"Indian Giver" - The 1910 Fruitgum Company
"Get Down" - Gilbert O' Sullivan
Seventies Pop (generally odd and disturbing -- the Seventies had to be the oddest decade for pop ever): "Stuck in the Middle with You" - Stealer's Wheel
"Softly Whispering I Love You" - The English Congregation
"Timothy" - The Buoys (the songwriter was trying to write a flop, so wrote this little ditty about cannibalism --- so of course it was a hit...)
"Moldy Old Dough" -Lieutenant Pigeon
"Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon
"Hot Love" - T Rex
something by Elton; "The Bitch is Back"?
Oh and something disco, "Oh What a Night" by the Four Seasons is the one disco song I can stand.
Eighties Pop:
"Video Killed the Radio Star" - the Buggles (this is still probably seventies, but it feels eighties)
"Cherish" - Madonna (the one song I really like from her)
"They Don't Know" - Traci Ullman or the original by Kirsty MacColl
"Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants
"Love Shack" - B52s
Nineties Pop
"Walking on Broken Glass" - Annie Lennox
"Never Let You Go" - Third Eye Blind
"Friday, I'm in Love" - The Cure
(By this time, I was having kids and not listening to the radio that much...)
Too many, I know, but maybe something you can use in there?
Good work everyone, but particularly Persephone: that is amazing! I have to say I haven't heard of half the tracks on your list, I wonder if it is because I'm not Canadian?
There isn't a single Canadian artist on that list! I'd better rectify that: "If I Had a Million Dollars" - Bare Naked Ladies for the 90's; "This Time" - Bryan Adams for the 80's; "I'm a Stranger Here" - Five Man Electrical Band for the 70's, and "You Were on My Mind" - We Five for the 60's. The last item is a performance by an American band of a Canadian tune (by Ian Tyson). Unless you want to substitute "Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen, but that's not very pop, is it? (The cool thing about being Canadian is we get exposed to both American and British artists, and the Can/Con regulations take care of the rest. Hope you're feeling better soon; it's not allergies, is it?
If you are going pop then you need some Pink.
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Britney yet. Sorry, pop's really not my thing, but my vote goes to something off Michael Jackson's Off the Wall and definitely some Stevie Wonder. Blame it on the Boogie?
Persephone's suggestions are great, but on the 'older pop' end I'd suggest River Deep, Mountain High by Ike & Tina Turner. If you fancied something obscure, seek out a track called 'You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve' by Johnny Boy.
Ah... pop! If you were making me the tape, I would please like:
Abba - Angel Eyes
Bananarama - Venus
Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian
Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
Cher - All or Nothing
Madonna - Take A Bow
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Steps - One For Sorrow
Whigfield - Saturday Night (!)
Wilson Phillips - Hold On
Thank You
Pedro
There are some great suggestions here. My poppier (but not the poppermost) offerings are
I Say Nothing - Voice of the Beehive
Everyday People - Sly and the Family Stone
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Jacko
I'd second that emotion for some T Rex and if we are starting from space oddity how about some Mott The Hoople. Half Way To Memphis is fantastic but does have some dodgy lyrics ("Some spade said...")
I think you should throw in some family friendly hip hop as well and the best place to go for that is A Little Samba by Ugly Duckling
oops - I forgot the first one I thought of:
Buffalo Girls - Malcolm McLaren
"All the way from Memphis", please, JJ! The "spade" in context is not quite as dodgy, he's telling off Ian Hunter for not taking better care of his guitar, and Hunter is suitably chastened: "I felt so ashamed..."
Being a huge Mott fan, I'd have included them on my list, but I think of them as more rock than pop. "Roll Away the Stone" is very pop-py, of course.
My pooter crashed last night, depriving the world of my poor quality suggestions, so I'll have another crack:
Pausing briefly to approve heartily of Persephone's suggestions (Birdhouse - yay! Loveshack - yay! etc etc), may I humbly suggest a compilation of pop songs could very well start with a song written to introduce a collection of pop songs and shenanigans - the Theme from the Monkees. There wasn't any Queen on the last one, so perhaps Don't Stop Me Now. On the the Girls Aloud debate, I'd go for Love Machine, but Sound of the Underground's a good call.
If pop includes Britpop, I'd throw in Inbetweener by Sleeper and, to tie in with the SingStar inspiration, Karaoke Queen by Catatonia. Going through my music library to see what was genre tagged "pop" I was surprised to see a Divene Comedy track, but less so when I realised it was National Express; top track to introduce a fanctastic act. On a similar vein, while Sit Down isn't the track song James put out by a long way it's probably the best way to introduce them to youngsters.
Finally, and with no thematic Justification than I really like it, how about Addicted to Bass by Puretone?
This will appear way too late for anyone to read it, but my obsessive/compulsive tendencies dictate that I must correct myself: "You Were On My Mind" (not "You Were Always On My Mind", which is a very different song) was not written by Ian Tyson, but by his then/wife Sylvia Fricker Tyson. They performed as "Ian and Sylvia" for many years. Here's a very nice performance of the song by Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo, with Oh Susanna (aka Suzie Ungerlieder).
Post a Comment