Wednesday, 10 December 2008

This is Edward Bennett

I have three days to get as excited about seeing him as Hamlet as I was about seeing David Tennant. I have been a fan of David Tennant ever since Casanova, which was three years ago, so it's three years per day. It's a big ask but I reckon I can manage it. Otherwise, and I know it's an ensemble production etc etc, but it is a bit like going to see Aretha Franklin and finding out that she's lost her voice but they are going to do the gig anyway, with one of the backing singers on lead vocals. I mean, I'm sure the backing singer has a terrific voice. But she aint Aretha.

So, anyway, there is stuff to get excited about here. Ed has great eyebrows and nice lips. He probably kisses like a dream. Also, according to his Rada page, he can do the Lindy Hop and play the bongos. He has a clean driving license, which is important, because I don't have a car, and he likes swimming, and so do I. He likes swimming so much he has mentioned it twice. And he has played Hamlet at university, which is handy. We are totally overlooking the fact that not only does he hunt on horseback but he has put it on his CV. Because if not, that is going to fully interfere with the crush I have to develop by 7.30pm on Friday.

Mrs Edward Bennett. Mrs Marie Bennett. Mr and Mrs Phillips-Bennett.

I can probably wean him off the hunting.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's also pretty good. I saw Hamlet at Stratford *ducks many thrown objects* and his Laertes was excellent - funny, soulful, passionate. When I read the programme and saw he was understudy for Hamlet I do remember thinking 'hmm, I bet he'd be great'.

David will be OK though. He will.

Lucy Diamond said...

Gutted. But Edward doesn't sound too bad as Hamlet at least:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7772880.stm

(I know it's small comfort.)

Waffle said...

Onoes, he looks exactly like a dismal German lawyer I work with. Here's hoping he doesn't talk like him, he has a terrible lisp.

Marie said...

Now I am even more excited. Nothing says Hamlet more than dismal, lisping German lawyer.

Persephone said...

Tennant...Bennett... Sounds practically the same! As someone who has seen Penny Downie perform live (she was the centrepiece of a riveting co-production of The Penelopiad, a co-production of the RSC and the National Arts Centre English Theatre [being in Ottawa, we have a N.A. French Theatre as well] and based on the book by Margaret Atwood), I'd say you were in for a treat on that basis alone. To say nothing of the rest of the cast, including Patrick Stewart. Is it confirmed DT will not be better by the end of the week, then?

Marie said...

They're announcing it day by day. But the way my luck's going at the moment... let's just say I've haven't been bothering to play the lottery recently. You are right that it should be a great production anyway. I'm still looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

He was very, very good as Laertes. And you still get to see Patrick Stewart as the best Claudius I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you like him you can always let him play your bongos.

Waffle said...

A huntin' lispin' german' dismal lawyer. Oh yes.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I know that the edge of disappointment is palpable, but I have just spluttered laughing at reading this post.

you know how to create comic timing out of pain...