Monday, 1 September 2008

Strictly Necessary

"Now," writes Jaywalker. "Marie. Should I allow myself to get sucked in? Have only just regained the luxury of British tv and seem to already spend most evenings in slack jawed stupor in front of Simon Cowell."

Yes, Jaywalker, yes, you must get sucked in! For a start, this blog (and by extension, my life) only really comes alive for 26 weeks of the year: 13 weeks of Doctor Who and 13 weeks of Strictly Come Dancing. The rest is just desperately treading water. (Though has anybody else been following Maestro? I am completely obsessed. I've been catching up on the ones I missed while on holiday, so am still lagging behind, but from now on I only want to go to concerts where I can sit in the choir seats - as you do can in the Royal Festival Hall, say - and see the face of the conductor. And Sue Perkins is a genius. And I have started playing my piano again as a direct result. But anyway.) The happiest readers of this blog are fans of both Who and Strictly, and are just waiting for that announcement that must surely come one day: "And now, dancing the Tango to the theme from Doctor Who, is David Tennant and his partner Lydia Kopylova."

But Jaywalker, Jaywalker. The outfits. The rugby players trying to do the rhumba. The gossip. The bitching. The off-stage romances that threaten to engulf all onstage. Tess Daly's belts. Bruce Forsythe's jokes. The barely-veiled sexism and racism of the judges. The amount of times any woman will be described as "a beautiful girl" if they are in fact overweight and / or old and everybody is too scared to mention it. The "journeys". The band, mutilating everything in their path. The outfits, for crying out loud. SEQUINS. There are simply not enough sequins on X Factor, though I will admit that Cheryl's hair does make up for that oversight this season.

And the dancing, the dancing, the dancing, the dancing, the dancing! Every year I start watching Strictly for the kitsch, and every year it's the dancing that keeps me watching. Some of these celebrities get so good - I'm thinking Alesha Dixon, I'm thinking Mark Ramprakash. And aside from that there's the professionals dancing together who are really quite incredible. Let's remind ourselves shall we?



Oh yes indeedy. Jaywalker, you will not regret it.

Bring on the dancing girls! (and boys...)

11 comments:

lilalia said...

Definitely necessary. Glad your back from vacation. Glad to know another season is starting. Need you commentary to avoid endless hours of watching YouTube. Let the season begin.

SAF said...

Entirely unrelated, sorry, but I gather Jaime Murray (of Hustle fame) is set to play Aphrodite in a US comedy drama, "Valentine". From the little I've heard about it, it seems to take a very different approach to the Greek Gods Among Us theme of Gods Behaving Badly, so that's ok, but would Jaime Murray have been one of your choices to play Aphrodite? She's nothing like the Aphrodite I imagined when reading your book, I have to say.

Anonymous said...

Is Sue Perkins in every single one of these celeb reality shows ever?

I do like Maestro, but I keep missing it. Conducting is great.

Persephone said...

Sorry, was just mentally struggling to get the Doctor Who theme into a tango rhythm. Now my brain hurts.

This summer, I was forced to watch an episode of So You Think You Can Dance whilst attempting to record-to-DVD the said show for a 16-year-old away in Parksville and an 12-year-old away in the Netherlands. (I failed.) It's kind of like those Joseph/Nancy/Marias dealies, only with dancers. Not an old nor overweight one amongst them, sad to say, although they're clearly boffo hoofers. The judges, however, are irritating beyond belief. Coming this fall? So You Think You Can Dance, Canada. Dear Lord, where can I run, where can I hide....

Anonymous said...

'Lydia Kopylova'?

I think that's 'Lilia'! :D

Anonymous said...

Maestro is brilliant. I'm cheering for Goldie myself, and I'm starting to hate Jane Asher.

Waffle said...

Ok. Right. I trust you implicitly Marie on this, as you are clearly a woman of great refinement and taste. You may consider me sucked.
That sounds horrible doesn't it. Don't consider me anything of the kind but I will watch Strictly. I like the sound of the band particularly. And sequins, of course. Mmm. I look forward.
Thank you!

Jane Henry said...

The sequins! And the dancing! And the tantrums! And the dancing! Thanks to you and the necessity of finding out how to dance for the latest book I got into the last series and was hooked. So guess who can't wait for the new series to begin... I nearly ended up taking salsa lessons in France, but listening to this French man shouting Recule! Recule! nearly finished me off. I find it hard enough to follow instructions in English...

Anonymous said...

I can't bloody wait!!

Although, I am starting to see a bit of a pattern for some of the pairings. Darren has been lumbered with yet another overweight, over orange Ex-Stender, Brendon has yet another busty model/presenter/whatever, Lilia has another short and dumpy bloke in too-tight trousers (even for Strictly) and Flavia, talk about incestuous! This year she's got the fictional father of last year's fling. Some wonderful thought gone into that pairing.

Can't bloody wait!

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

I can't bloody wait either!! :P

Anonymous said...

I tried to apply for audience tickets in the lottery but was dismissed as a non-UK resident.

Harrumph!