Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Here's one I ate earlier

From Behind The Laptop...

The Omnivore's Hundred

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.


2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.


3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.


4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.


NB They don't have formatting options for the very useful "I can't remember" or "what the fuck is that" so I will have to annotate as we go.


The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison

2. Nettle tea
 - I can't remember. Already.

3. Huevos rancheros
 - Also. And we're only three in. This is going badly. Can everyone else remember every unremarkable thing they ever ate?

4. Steak tartare


5. Crocodile


6. Black pudding
 - I'm sure it's delicious but the concept grosses me out.

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp - as I recall, a bit of a waste of time. Lots of little bones.


9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari
 - Rubbery. Yuk. What is all the fuss about?

12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich - Americans: boy are you ever wrong about these.


14. Aloo gobi


15. Hot dog from a street cart
 - I have definitely eaten hotdogs. But from a street cart? I think I need to do one of those things where they open your brain and poke it to see if your memory works.

16. Epoisses
 - qu'es ce que c'est? [Googles] Oh, it's a cheese! In that case,almost certainly, as I've never met a cheese I didn't like, but I can't bold for certain because I just don't know.

17. Black truffle

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
 - Not a clue. Would I even notice?

19. Steamed pork buns


20. Pistachio ice cream


21. Heirloom tomatoes
 - I dunno. I have eaten tomatoes. I am starting to realise I might be failing as a foodie.

22. Fresh wild berries


23. Foie gras but never again, after watchig that play about force-feeding sufragettes.


24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn, or head cheese
 - No but I was once laughed at for mistranslating some German term as Head Cheese when I was 14, and I have never got over it, and I will balme head cheese forever and no morsel of it will pass these lips.

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
 - are you insane?

27. Dulce de leche
 - would screw with my lactose issues

28. Oysters
 - would rather swallow snot: cheaper, and basically the same

29. Baklava


30. Bagna cauda
 - some Italian dip, apparently

31. Wasabi peas
 - never again! I loathe Wasabi

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
 and I don't eat clams, but I have had an edible bowl before and it's a world of fun.

33. Salted lassi
 Lactose, lactose... And yes I can eat cheese and yes it is confusing.

34. Sauerkraut


35. Root beer float
 - why drink Root Beer when you could just eat toothpaste?

36. Cognac with a fat cigar


37. Clotted cream tea


38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O


39. Gumbo



40. Oxtail


41. Curried goat


42. Whole insects

- I had fried grasshoppers. They taste like crisps (ie of salt and fat) but the legs get stuck between your teeth.

43. Phaal


44. Goat’s milk


45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
 - I had about three sips and was nearly unconscious it was so strong. Good unconscious, though.

46. Fugu
 - the exploding japanese death fish thingy? Um, no thanks.

47. Chicken tikka masala


48. Eel


49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut



50. Sea urchin
 - you peel it, I'll eat it

51. Prickly pear


52. Umeboshi
 - Probably have, it's some sour Japanese plum apparently

53. Abalone
 - I have only eaten land snails, and not enjoyed them either.

54. Paneer


55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Just chips and dip for me please


56. Spaetzle
 - you wouldn't belivee how many of these I'm having to look up. Some kind of German dumpling thing, apparently.

57. Dirty gin martini
 - olives, yuk. And in your drink?

58. Beer above 8% ABV
 - I can't drink beer, but I do drink the homebrew cider at the Sqaure and Compass in Worth Matravers and half a pint is enough to knock out a wrestler.

59. Poutine
 - cheese curd, chips and gravy. I haven't, but I so would.

60. Carob chips Carob is the chocolate they serve you in Hell

61. S’mores


62. Sweetbreads
 - Not sweet. Not bread. Rename, please.

63. Kaolin
 - "Kaolin is an absorbent medicine used to treat diarrhoea". Yum.

64. Currywurst


65. Durian
 - it's fruit. It smells. I'm unexcited.

66. Frogs’ legs
 - tastes like chicken

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake


68. Haggis - Sorry, Scotland


69. Fried plantain


70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
 - SOunds like the kind of thing I wouldn't eat (tripe sausage) but I wouldn't be surprised if it has caught me unawares in a restaurant somewhere in France

71. Gazpacho


72. Caviar and blini



73. Louche absinthe
 - or perhaps I have drunk loads of it, explaining the memory loss evident throughout this meme

74. Gjetost, or brunost - it's cheese, I'll eat it


75. Roadkill - depends what type. Venison yes, badger no.

76. Baijiu
 - hardcore scary Chinese booze apparently

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail


79. Lapsang souchong


80. Bellini


81. Tom yum


82. Eggs Benedict



83. Pocky - aka Mikado in Europe, apparently.

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
 - No, but if anyone's offering...

85. Kobe beef


86. Hare

87. Goulash


88. Flowers

- if courgette flowers count

89. Horse
 - I am a commited carnivore but I just can't. Too many memories of pony riding as a child. Having said that, I have chomped through plenty of our donkey friends in the form of Italian dried sausages.

90. Criollo chocolate


91. Spam
 and I have never quite got over it.

92. Soft shell crab


93. Rose harissa



94. Catfish
 - another one of those memory lapses. Why on earth would I remember catfish?

95. Mole poblano


96. Bagel and lox



97. Lobster Thermidor
 - I am distinctly meh on the subject of lobster. I know, I know.

98. Polenta


99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
 - can't drink coffee

100. Snake - does this include the pink variety?

5 comments:

mattcollinssongs said...

I haven't even heard of most of these food stuffs, so feel extremely uncultured after reading this list. A bit like the book list.

So now I'm planning a revenge post on my blog - audio control surfaces you have considered purchasing!

Persephone said...

As someone who lives a 50-minute walk from the province of Québec -- poutine is so over-rated. Certainly not worth the fat content and calorie count. I really think you have to grow up with it. Elder daughter loves it, case in point.

And haggis isn't bad. If you like sausage, you won't mind haggis.

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's my mates Andrew and Jill's blog (and Andrew's list). Good to see it taking on a life of its own, though Andrew's getting a little bit freaked by how far it's gone.

(My employers have blocked access to my blog, so I can't use the usual sign-in. Are they gits or what?)

Anonymous said...

You're so wrong about oysters.

Marie said...

Perhaps, Oliver, you are wrong about snot?