Sunday, 28 September 2008

Strictlywatch 2008: Week Two Result

Right. I love Strictly. We know that, don't we? So you know that I aint (Jodie) kidding when I say that the results show is far too long and hideously repetitive. And also on too late, points out one of my viewing companions, whose 7-year-old had to go to bed halfway through. Poor junior fan wouldn't have had to miss out on the result if it had (a) been on at a child friendly teatime, and more to the point (b) not been an *hour long* yawn-fest consisting almost entirely of padding and recap. As well as going over all of yesterday's dances and judge comments, plus the entirety of the two worst dances in the "dreaded" (TM) dance off, we were treated to the whole of the men's group dance - again. But why?? Even the special guest Jill Halfpenny was just trotting out her jive, which is fabulous, but has been seen a hundred times before. I enjoyed the professional group dance even if the Sugarbabes didn't look terribly happy to be so effortlessly upstaged, and I liked having a dance from newcomers cardboard-haired Kristina (yay!), alien-headed Brian (yay!) and boring Hayley (whatever), even though the dance itself was a bit tacky (though I did like that bit with Brian and Kristina and the legs thing which made me swear out loud in front of the children.) Basically that plus the result could have taken about ten minutes. Next week I am pre-recording it and fastforwarding through the guff.

Anyway, like the show I have babbled on for too long before getting to the result: a fair dance-off between Gillian and Jodie, Jodie really pulling it out of the bag (or hat? not sure of my idioms here) to deliver a much better performance than previously, meaning Gillian quite correctly went home.

I have been asked for my predictions for the final: current thinking is Tom, Austin and Rachel. I am ready to be proved wrong...

5 comments:

mattcollinssongs said...

It's Sugababes (no r). Get widdit!

Anything that makes you swear in front of kids has to be good though?

Simon said...

hi, m, found your blog after googling you on completing the "gods . . ." book recently (which is a great read, tx!), love reading your commentary on scd, i am a huge fan of the prog (must be a frocks thing!), not a dancer at all but who knows with practice . . ., thought the group pros dance was one of the best performances i have seen, completely share your views about the results show re repetitive, wrong time etc, my tip is cherie, rooting for the older lady

Jane Henry said...

I missed the results show as I got back far too late from a school reunion, and was so knackered I didn't even look online last night. Blimey I was so SURE that Jessie was going. Glad that Jodie's lived to dance another day as she's a lot of fun.

My money for final so far is on Austin, Rachel and Cherie. Would LOVE to see Cherie win it, but suspect she is too old. Think that it would be deeply depressing if it is Rachel or Tom because that'll just be the sex appeal winning and not (necessarily) the talent. Of course I'd REALLY love to see John Sergeant win, but I know that's in the bounds of fantasy!

Marie said...

Welcome to the blog Simon! I too would love to see Cheri win it but I fear she may come unstuck on some of the latin dances. I suspect anyone whose knees are over forty will have trouble on the jive. Ouch.

Jane Henry said...

Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

But probably not on the dance floor.