Thursday, 4 October 2007

Superbad


Another night, another movie. This time Superbad, from the makers of Knocked Up. Now, I loved Knocked Up, and every time I read one of those articles saying that it was reactionary, misogynist, anti-abortion propaganda I'd go a bit shaky and have to lie down in a darkened room thinking about dick jokes until I recovered. (It's not that I don't know about reactionary, misogynist, anti-abortion propaganda, but I have two words for you: Forrest Gump.) Superbad, inevitably, was a bit of a disappointment after that, though there is a perfectly good reason for it: Knocked Up is at least partly aimed at thirtysomething career women contemplating the implications of having children, and Superbad, despite its R rating, is aimed at teenage boys whose whole mission in life is to get drunk and get sex. It was, in fact, first written by star Seth Rogen when precisely at that age and stage in life, though some might argue, while he has increased in years, his attitude is pretty much where he left it.

The R rating for the American release is qualified with the words: "Pervasive crude and sexual content, strong language, drinking, some drug use and a fantasy / comic violent image - all involving teens." Which is as good a description of the film as any, and I particularly love the "all involving teens" postscript, which makes it sound like the most titillating entertainment ever, which is possibly not the effect the consors were going for.

Anyway, in my opinion, Superbad is a bit patchy, as much of the film consists of Jonah Hill (about 45 years old, playing an 18-year-old, wrinkles intact) saying pussy a lot as well as other words not meaning cat and which I'd rather not repeat too much as I'll end up getting a lot of unwanted traffic. Funny if you're 17, a bit tired if you're 31. However, there are so many moment of pure comic genius that it doesn't really matter. Many or most of this comedy gold comes courtesy of the uber-nerd Fogel, who creates a fake ID identifying him as the 25-year-old Hawaiian organ doner McLovin - no first name, just McLovin - and who is adopted by two cops whose idea of a good time is to get drunk, shine their ultra-bright torches in each others faces whilst driving, and run over children. (If you don't think that running people over is funny, avoid the film. There is a lot of bumper-to-bum action.)

I, however, had another reason to adore the film. I fell in love. True love, with the character of Evan. Now, I have previously believed myself to find love in the cinema before - Han Solo, Christian Slater in Heathers, Mr Incredible - but I realise now that was just lust. This is the real thing. Fortunately this feeling was largely unconnected to my sex drive - Michael Sera, who plays Evan, was born in 1988 - but my heart absolutely melted as the supremely well-brought-up Evan bumbled through the film with his no porn, respect for women, isn't it a bit exploitative to try to have sex with girls when they're drunk manifesto, if someone who is so busy being respectful and nice can even have a manifesto, because surely that would be a bit imposing on a nice pretty girl etc. Evan is not your archetypal teen movie lead, and although is never once made out to be a loser, the filmmakers have fun putting him is a series of excruciating scenarios, notably having to sing to a room full of violent coke-heads, battling with a faulty mobile phone, and best yet being "seduced" by the girl of his dreams who has obviously watched one too many porn films and drunk fourteen too many tequilas. At this point he gets my favourite line in the whole movie, as she rips his clothes off: "Please be careful of that sweater, it's very meaningful to me, it's vintage." I actually don't think I have ever gone out with anyone who wouldn't have said that very line, and I'll be honest with you, Evan's gawky frame, weak chin, soft feminine mouth, badly cut hair and carefuly chosen geek threads are not entirely unknown in my dating repertoire either. I defy any woman not to get a bit hormonal or at least maternal when confronted with the adorable Evan. (Don't worry blokes, there are innumerable shots of girls' tits to keep you entertained in the meantime.)

Ultimately, I'd say that whatever you thought of Knocked Up, take it down one notch and that's what you'll think of Superbad. If you loved Knocked Up, you'll really like Superbad, and if you hated Knocked Up, just lock yourself in a room until it is no longer at a theater near you. Unless you are a teenage boy (literally, or in soul), in which case run, don't walk...

4 comments:

John Soanes said...

Whilst I haven't seen Superbad (yet), the character Sera plays sounds quite similar to his role as 'George Michael Bluth' in the excellent but short-lived TV series 'Arrested Development', all 3 series of which are available to rent/buy. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it - Sera's just one member of a terrific cast. Not on commission, just love the show.
J

Marie said...

But am I going to start having seriously inappropriate thoughts, all involving teens?

John Soanes said...

Well, if you do, I think it'd be a bit unfair to blame it on a TV show... unless the medium is as powerful as Mrs Whitehouse always claimed?
J

Anonymous said...

Marie and Evan sitting in a tree....