Friday, 5 October 2007

Home and Away



Twenty years of Home and Away! God, I feel old. (Though not as old as this pair. It's a successful programme, they could have stretched to airbrushing those bags and wrinkles. Cassie is meant to be eighteen years old! Too much sun, methinks.) I have been watching from the very start, when Alf had hair and Sally - who has been married about three times, and whose actress has an online sex tape - was barely more than a foetus. I like to stop work every day at 6pm and watch a celebratory half hour of Home and Away (which will be followed as of next week by an even more celebratory half hour of Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two, which is appropriate, as the Aussie version of Strictly seems to be won by someone from H&A pretty much every year). Five are also kind enough to show the previous day's episode at noon and the following day's episode on Freeview at 6.30, so if you are really desperate you can watch three episodes in one day, and if that isn't enough, you can read episode synopses on their website that stretch back and forth pretty much until both ends of time.

I also love Neighbours, which I have also watched from the start, and which is my lunchtime break: I'm pretty much an Aussie soap fanatic, and I try to find shame in this status, but so far it eludes me. This is all by way of warning you that there will be many more Neighbours and Home and Away posts to come.

For now, I will just draw your attention to the fact that H&A has just been castigated by the Australian broadcasting watchdog. I wonder what they could possibly have done wrong? Well, could it maybe be the storyline where Martha, having gone off the rails and developed a drinking problem after having an affair with a married man which culminated in an unwanted pregnancy and an abortion, gets involved with the dodgy owner of a dodgy nightclub and ends up as a lapdancer? She won't hear a word against her dubious lover until it's proved that not only has he fathered an illigitimate daughter by one of his dancers and driven another of them to heroin addiction, he is also using the club to sell cocaine. At this point I should probably alert the less informed that Home and Away is, strictly speaking, a children's programme. Apparently the other recent storyline that got them into trouble was one in which "two teenage characters decide to have sex", but I can't comment on that one, as I'm not certain if it refers to Ric and Cassie, Ric and Matilda, Cassie and Jules, Cassie and Mac, Belle and Drew, Belle and Lucas, or Lucas and Matilda, and I would hate to get my details wrong.

I'd write more about this but the lunchtime repeat is poised to start: Brad is going to propose to Sally, little knowing that anyone who does that generally leaves the series shortly after, and there is a storm brewing at sea, which means that anyone currently on a boat will be washed up on shore somewhere where they don't have people, and weeks will pass while Alf Stewart looks for them wearing a fluorescent jacket, and if they are pregnant they will give birth. And that's just twenty-five minutes worth.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) fantastic stuff. i think it's a badge of HONOUR to have been watching from the very start!

i'm still reeling at the news of Kate Richie's retirement. Without Sally, Alf has to carry the Original Cast Member torch all on his own! Stone the flamin' crows!

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Did you see the Timmins leave Neighbours! What a surprisingly successful family they've been... Neighbours has been really good recently, actually. Genuinely funny at times, and things like the Frazer/Rosie relationship can be surprisingly (again) subtle. And Ginelle (sp?!!) called Susan her Yoda! That's just genius.

I keep meaning to blog about Neighbours properly... I will do.

Laura said...

God I love home and away. I've missed you h&a posts on that-place-i'm-not-sure-if-we're-allowed-to-mention-over-here. Its been dominated by some other subject no one seems very interested in. Something to do with a book?

I'm going to second annawaits about the Neighbours comment as well. It has been fab lately. I like to think of Rosie and Frazer as the new Libby and Drew, and I shed a tear today when Janelle flew away. I genuinely love her. Today's N was classic though - "Better than a caravan park!" Brilliant!!!!

RandomPinkness said...

I also have missed the H&A posts it made my day a couple of weeks ago when I realised it *was* Kip Gamblin in Casualty, I kept forgetting to check the credits, despite the fact he's been it for ages now.

Marie said...

I don't love Kip in Casualty the way I loved him in H&A. This is for two reasons:

1. I don't like Casualty, and
2. He doesn't get to go surfing.

Marie said...

Also, yes, there will be a future blog post on Neighbours's new golden age. You do know that Libby and Darren are coming back, don't you?

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Yeah, I heard that!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Neighbours is good at the mo... and who'd have thunk that the Rosie/Frazer/Pepper household would end up being pretty good? They all arrived at the same time and I was scared of them... but they've turned out really well. I miss the Timmins already though...

Andy said...

One of the best show ever on Television.In my humble opinion Home and Away is a super soap and is well worth half an hour a day.I would recommend to everyone who get into dailysoaps..Enjoi all eps Download Home And Away here..

Unknown said...

The episodes are very funny and interesting than movies and i like to watch Home and Away TV show which is very entertaining and i believe that when u will see this show u will surely enjoy it.