Monday, 20 October 2008

Strictlywatch 2008: Week 5 Results

So I was almost right - Heather was in the bottom two, only with Don rather than Andrew, and pulled off a better-performed dance in the dance-off, leaving Don to go. Lilia seemed genuinely upset and so was I, I will miss Don's manners and the smile that makes him look like a small boy. Otherwise, the results show was mainly notable for the return of Alesha Dixon, singing a very catchy though not exactly good song (a sort of cross between Bills Bills Bills and Mambo Number 5) and dancing in the kind of platform heels I wouldn't even be able to stand up in.

Next week Paso Doble. I LOVE Paso Doble. Sadly I am scheduled to be in Uganda, but as long as my PVR cooperates I will review it on my return.

Meanwhile, note the rumours over on Strictly TV that either Len or Bruce is leaving. An explanation for the appearance of John Barrowman perhaps? Who would you like as the new judge, or the new presenter?

5 comments:

Jane Henry said...

According to the Telegraph Arlene Philips may leave next year as well.
I am really sorry to see Don go too. I think Andrew Castle should have gone, he's hopeless. And OH MY GOD Mark Foster's shirt was horrific (I missed Saturday's show as I was away, but luckily had read your blog so had due warning) - I don't fancy him at all, so the intended effect was totally lost on me...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, lots to mention this week.

If you are black and appear on SCD you have got to be a really good dancer to make it to the latter stages. Sad, but true.

We missed the results show as we have given up watching it (BBC producers take note). It is on too late for my children to watch and it drags on for too long. Shame about missing Alesha, but there you go.

Our new results tradition is for me to check out the Betfair forum Sunday morning where the results are revealed and announce them to the family, after much guessing from them, over breakfast.

I think the results show will come into its own a bit more towards Christmas as it will be on once people are back from their Sunday shopping expeditions and don't want to move from the sofa. The variety element of it will then work a bit better as the superstars come in to plug their new albums.

I am hoping Barry Manilow makes an appearance this year.

Oh, and I had no idea Mark was gay but I understand that he was coached for a while by Colin Jackson who may also have been his partner, or perhaps still is. Which begs the question, why doesn't Colin step in to help him out? If ever a bit of camp was needed it is with Mark.

Anonymous said...

That was me above by the way. Pressed return too early.

LeeJayWhistlingIsNotAnnoyingMe said...

Well I'd heard from someone who works on the show that sadly Bruce is a little more "doddery" than he'd like to let on.

The other week it took him way too many attempt to introduce Andrea Bocelli leaving the audience absolutely squirming by the end of the recorded segment. Indeed remembering vaguely him introducing Bocelli on TV, he did seem very triumphant.

So it's probably for the best that he bows out while he's still near the top of his game - presenting a hit Saturday live programme.

All this talk about everyone leaving makes me wonder whether or not now is contract renegotiation time or something?

I see that all four judges are signed up for the Strictly live tour (Craig was plugging it on BBC Breakfast this morning). But that probably pays better because it's at arm's length from the BBC.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if anyone's offering odds yet on a Vernon Kay/Tess Daly presenting team? I'm sure it's been mooted.

And praps Anton to replace Len? I'm convinced he won't be back as a pro next season.