Seriously, I went on the New Statesman site and there it was. It was the first piece I clicked on, which tells you something about my aspirations to seriousness. And it is a pretty serious piece as it happens, or at least compared with my coverage anyway...
Hmm. (a) Send my cv to New Statesman in hope that they might like a more playful TV writer? (b) Crawl back under my rock of frivolity?
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

4 comments:
a! a! Definitely a!!! And if they're in the market for frivolous journalism....!!
Why would you want to? Rate for the job (always the first place to look in such situations) puts the last payment/1,000 words for the New Statesman at £118 (cf my early comment about how consumer mags pay crap all, unless you're very lucky) - and you should have a look at some of the other comments from contributors. I don't get very socialist very often, but the NUJ's recommended minimum rate is £200/1,000 words - no breaking with the comrades! Plus you're worth more than that, aren't you?
Although you might be able to negotiate a higher rate based on your fame and your obvious knowledge of Strictly Come Dancing.
Useful resource, Rob. But I am so shocked! And you're right, they can't afford me.
A very useful link - thank you. I used to enjoy reading Ms Barbieri's column about fishing in the Independent, even though I've only gone fishing twice in my whole life. I shall now start reading her column in the New Statesman. I wonder if she has a blog.
I am afraid I never watch Strictly, but I do like reading your writings on the subject.
PS. I do need to read the French copy of Gods that I bought ages ago when you had a blog about being on TV there.
Post a Comment