Saturday, 13 September 2008

Strictly Come Exciting!


Oooh! Ooooh! Ooooooooooh!

Was anybody else watching the launch show? Sure, it doesn't really count as an episode of Strictly because there's no actual dancing in it, but it's a key step in the formation of totally snap judgements on who I LOVE, who I HATE, and who I am DESPERATE TO HAVE DINNER WITH... FOLLOWED BY BREAKFAST.

Who I LOVE is Lilia, obviously, (how could I get her name wrong in previous post? Moment of madness), so it is depressing to see that she has been paired with potential lemon Don Warrington. As she had to dance with obnoxious "my dance was flawless" lemon Dominic last year this seems crushingly unfair and you do wonder whether the person who makes these decisions really doesn't like Lilia. But surely everyone loves Lilia, so that can't be right. (Actually, boringly, I think they mostly match them on height. But anyway.)

Who I HATE is Gary The Ego Rhodes, although depressingly it loks like he might be a bit of a mover, so I reckon we will have to stick with him for a while, unless he is subjected to an undiginified Gaby-style exit, but even then we will have to endure weekly reminders that he shouldn't have gone out - sigh - maybe he will be less smooth than he looked in the preview.

Who I am DESPERATE TO HAVE DINNER WITH... FOLLOWED BY BREAKFAST is a bit of a surprise, as I had my eye on Mark Foster and his eye-popping bod, but in fact he seems to have a bit of a wet fish personality, so my official crush of the series (subject to change without notice) is that chap from Holby City, Tom Thingummy. Hello. Please stop talking about how you are getting married mid-season.

Other than that, my favourite moment was Vincent Simone promising that his choreography with Rachel Stevens was going to be "so hot it's traumatic". Ha ha, it's Vincent v. Flavia: the rematch! May the bitch-fighting begin!

Meanwhile, from the tiny moments of rehearsal we got to witness, the one to watch may be Heather Smalls, she had a convincing wiggle, although handicapped by a new, irritating professional dancer, some cheesy American who may or may not be called Brad.

More news as it breaks!

6 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! The kids insisted. I agree with your assessments, and I bow to your superior knowledge about spats etc as I was way behind on all that last year. I thought that Heather woman was a fabulous mover. I also really like John Seargent and thought it was very funny when he said he'd exaggerated his CV to his Russian dance partner. I'm quite fond of Don Warrington thanks to Rising Damp, but he was a bit too smooth wasn't he?
And wasn't Jessie Wallace orange? What HAVE they done to her hair? I predict lots of tears from the Enders actresses. I nearly choked on my coffee when Gillian Taylforth said she wanted to be known by her name, not as Cathy. Oh dear. Doesn't she know the common parlance for her surname?
I liked the cute Holby City guy too. Andrew Castle was horribly smooth (and I think a bit crap), but the swimmer looks like he can move even if he is a wet fish.
I also really loved Jodie Kidd because I think she is going to be utterly crap and she knows it but doesn't care.

BRING IT ON!!!!

Alice said...

Dancing dancing dancing! I'm a bit excited.

I'm afraid I hate Lilia, as does my housemate. Mostly it's the fault Of Darren Gough and his journey and 'real bloke' nonsense and 'it'ssomuchmoredifficultforpropermanlymen' comments blahblahblah etc etc. She annoys me alot.

John Sergant is lovely but probably going to leave immediately. Erin has RUINED her hair and I can't bear it. There are too many people and I can't remember who anyone is and who they are paired with and I hope people have told the new dancers that they are just not allowed to win. Good.

Why isn't Claudia on this week to build us up to the first week? Still, I cannot wait! :D

Unknown said...

ME! ME! I was watching! I was really excited about it but hadn't realised it was only a preview show so I felt a bit let down as I'd been expecting actual dancing. First impressions: there are millions of them this year, Gary Rhodes seems thoroughly unpleasant, Jessie Wallace looks nicer without makeup, Vincente gets cheesier every year, agree re Holby City man (I got distracted trying to imagine his fiancee's reaction when he said they had to cancel their honeymoon for Strictly), and doesn't Brucie look good for his age?

Bring on next week!

Alun said...

Fantastic escapism for the credit crunch. The preview reduces everything to personality; on that basis, Rachel Stevens and Mark Foster are out, but they will probably be finalists.

Hilarious that they can't let go of the Matt and Flavia innuendo. But I agree with Maries it is creepy that they've paired her with his onscreen Dad.

Please let sublime English eccentric Jodie Kidd stay on for weeks and weeks, regardless of her dancing ability, which looked likely to be minimal. Wonder if Cherie Lunghi will be any good - I suspect she could be, but this may be nostalgia (and I'm usually wrong about these). Lots of coffee jokes to come for both her and Don.

Rebecca said...

And there I was thinking Chris Brown was happily married and living in Australia when up he pops on your blog. Or have I missed something?

Anonymous said...

Waaoo...lovely sharing. I love to read your post. Great writeup and I love to Watch TV Shows Online too. Thanks.