Thursday, 30 April 2009

New York City Wardrobe Watch: Day 2

A milestone has been reached. As last night I wore my flat sandals to dinner and then changed into my high-heeled sandals for Soho House, today I wore my flat boots, and tonight for drinks at the Bourgeois Pig I will be wearing my high-heeled boots, as of tonight I will have worn all four pairs of shoes that I brought with me, scoring a resounding WIN in the capsule wardrobe war. However, I have muddied the waters a bit by purchasing a new pair of red sandals in the excellent Shoegasm shoe shop on the edge of the Meatpacking District, and I'm not sure if that means I am obliged to wear them too. They are chic, comfortable and vintage-looking and they match my coat. My red coat, that is. Not the new brown coat that I also bought today.

Weather continues sunny and warm despite dire predictions of rain. This has permitted another enjoyable day of walking around New York with my eyes open, specifically Greenwich Village, Soho, the Meatpacking District and the Cast Iron district - an area of particularly spectacular architecture which we stumbled over by accident between one cafe which we couldn't find and another which we did find but wished we hadn't (we turned up our noses at it and headed instead for the peerless Cafe Gitane and the best chicken sandwich on human record.) I am hoping for at least one day of cold weather though: on the day we leave, because I am going to have to wear a hell of a lot of my clothes, and possibly two pairs of my shoes, if I am going to have any hope of closing my suitcase.

3 comments:

colette said...

Cast Iron district? Is that like the flat iron district, but different?

Marie said...

Here we go http://www.soho-lofts.com/soho-architecture.html - nothing to do with the Flatiron district, which is named after the Flatiron building.

Marie said...

Ooh - actually saw Flatiron building today. It is stunning.