Day One: Jeans, Converse, blue knit long-sleeve top, coat. Weather: bright, sunny, warm. Wardrobe suitability: perfect.
As the weather forecast for the rest of the stay is by no means optimistic, today I have mostly been walking around Manhattan with my eyes open - both more enjoyable and less dangerous than walking around with my eyes shut. It's stunning - everything here is iconic, so I am staying in a bit that looks like Friends and spent the afternoon exploring a bit that's kind of Woody Allen and had lunch in a place so Seinfeld that Jerry Seinfeld actually eats there. It's called Barney Greengrass, "The Sturgeon King", and the smoked salmon bagel is the best I've ever had. Also the waiter the most flirtatious. We had a flirtatious waiter at Celeste, the excellent Italian restaurant we went to last night; all waiters flirt for tips, and we give them good tips because they flirt so well. It's like a more genteel version of what goes on in a strip joint, and the food is better. Since I would count as a Result any holiday where I spent a hefty percentage of my time eating good food and flirting with good waiters, I am feeling very pleased with my trip so far.
Tonight I am being taken for drinks to the roof of Soho House by a filmmaker who once had a publicity shot of himself completely nude save for a copy of an Ayn Rand novel (A Format, publishing fans) strategically placed. Will report back on whether I succeed in correctly pitching my wardrobe. If I follow his lead, I will need a trilogy. Paul Auster's New York Trilogy perhaps?
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

2 comments:
Sounds great! I have never been to the States and would love to visit NY, so am getting much vicarious pleasure from this.Hope you get the wardrobe right tonight too...
It's always fun looking at the place where I live from someone else's perspective. Like they once said on 'The Odd Couple', NYers never explore their own City - unless relatives come to visit.
I hope the entire trip is a success!
Post a Comment