Monday, 29 September 2008

Takin' Over The Asylum

Readers with unusually keen powers of observation may have picked up on my feelings regarding David Tennant. To keep the rest of you up to speed, I am a fan. I love Blackpool; I adore Casanova; I was blown away by Recovery; I have a passionate but dysfunctional relationship with Doctor Who, but nothing that couldn't be solved by watching certain episodes with the sound switched off, or indeed pretending that those episodes never happened and just staying home with the curtains shut, the Family of Blood two-parter and a really big box of tissues (for the tears, dear readers, for the tears.) Despite all of this, I must be honest and say that Mr Tennant has appeared in his fair share of crap. Put it this way: I won't be investing in the DVD of Secret Smile any time soon.

So it was with some trepidation that I approached 'Takin Over The Asylum', the 1994 comedy drama series about a radio station in a mental hospital, in which young David (pre nose job - or pre growing into his nose) plays a manic-depressive disc jockey with a dreadful '90s floppy haircut and a taste for flappy sweatshirts. There was a lot of potential for it all to go horribly wrong.

And oh my god.......... it is brilliant. Really, really something special. The lead is not Tennant but Ken Stott, who plays an alcoholic amateur DJ with a depressing day job in a Glasgow double glazing firm. Replaced in his hospital radio stint by a very young and fleeting Ashley Jensen, he gets a new position reopening the radio station at the local asylum. At first doubtful, he begins to make friends with the patients, and even begins a tentative romance. As we learn more about the rival pulls of his unsatisfying home life and his passion for the station, we realise that the boundaries between madness and sanity are not as clear as they might seem.

Everything about this show is remarkable - the acting by all parties, the screenplay by Donna Franceschild, who imdb suggests has not done much since (I hope by choice, because the thought that she's not getting offered work is too depressing), the music (loads of incredible classics, though reperformed for the DVD as it was the only way to straighten out all the rights for the release). It's funny, it's thought-provoking, it's incredibly moving, it's intelligent, it's sensitive, and yet completely entertaining at all times.

Go, go, buy buy, or at least rent. You won't regret it, even if you are not as taken with the charms of DT as some of us.

8 comments:

Kymz said...

100% have to agree with you there. I was totally oblivious about this until the DVD came out and I heard rave reviews. It is brilliant. Sad and made me cry in certain places but none the less brilliant.

Alice said...

Hmm, sounds interesting. I shall see if lovefilm will send it to me!

Helen said...

I was also oblivious to this until my husband, a total radio anorak, recorded it and I was also mesmerised by Tennant's hair and sweaters. Wasn't this the era where everybody (but not me) was wearing jumpers from The Sweater Shop?

Jane Henry said...

Sold. Sold. Sold. Haven't seen it but you're the second person I know who said I should. I think Ken Stott is fantastic in everything he does, and this sounds brill.

Persephone said...

Thank goodness I've been able to watch this on YouTube because, like Blackpool, this is not available in Region One DVD format, no doubt due to music clearance issues.

Secret Smile, naturally, is available. Oh dear. DT's performance is, as usual, impeccable, but what a implausible, silly plot. The book was implausible, too, in a whole different way.

Our next purchase, world economy notwithstanding, will be a universal DVD player, by which time DVD's will be obsolete. Sigh.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Secret Smile IS available? In what parallel universe?? (Sorry, it is BAD but what can I say: I'm an idiot!)

Anyway, yes: Asylum is a sublime piece of TV. I watched it at the time it was broadcast and was utterly captivated - it was certainly what got me following the career of Ken Stott. I also had fun over a summer a couple of years ago watching it on YouTube in fragments - out of sync but at least with the original music. Marvellous. So getting the DVD at last - albeit with the re-recorded music tracks - was a divine treat. I love so much about this show: the story, the writing, the characterisations and the wonderful narrative structure -- rather like Campbell is rises gloriously, almost manically before descending bleakly but beautifully. And Kate Murphy is just heartbreaking.

And Jane Henry I can't believe you hadn't already seen/got this!

Persephone said...

Lisa:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicci-French-Secret-David-Tennant/dp/B0012TK6ZW/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1222804049&sr=8-18

Fill yer boots!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Ta Persephone - I had no idea they had released it. Perhaps one might ask 'why' (beyond the obvious, but given how bloody (hilariously) awful it was, how come THAT got a release and other stuff hasn't had a sniff of a release date? I know that Asylum had its own reasons for delay - copyright - but even so why does stuff get so delayed??! Gah. Makes me cranky.