
Long-term readers of this blog will know that I am bit obsessed with Home and Away. I don't blog about it much because I assume that the rest of you have jobs and lives or are Canadian or both, and so aren't familiar with it. I however watch it every day without fail, and let me tell you something. It is really starting to piss me off.
Now, to pick up on the sexual politics of a daytime teen-oriented soap may seem a little hysterical to some, but bear with me, OK? By my count, Home and Away is now on its THIRD misunderstood rapist with a heart of gold. Very, very long-term readers of this blog and its predecessor may remember Kane, the original misunderstood rapist. To summarise, Kane raped Dani, and then married her sister Kirtsy. Dani's objections to this were largely felt to be really quite unnecessarily grudge-holding by the rest of the Summer Bay residents, and eventually she got over it. After all, it was a date rape, so that hardly even counts.
Next up was Henk, or maybe Hank, I am a bit confused by Aussie accents sometimes. Henk / Hank raped Rachel, but quite a long time ago now, so really it's OK when he gets together with Cassie (whose previous boyfriend used to beat her up.) I mean, you can understand why Rachel doesn't approve, but it's love, right? OK, to be fair, Henk / Hank gets AIDS and gives it to Cassie and then she dumps him and takes off travelling with their unborn child, BUT on the whole you are supposed to feel quite sorry for Hank / Henk, whose rape / underage girl habit is portayed as a character flaw on a par with, say, listening to loud music late at night.
And now we have Axel, who tried to rape Melody and failed, and has been shown to feel a bit guilty about it (he confessed to the police), and thus rehabilitated is perfectly ready to start dating new arrival Ruby, who insightfully pointed out that "if I had done something like that, I would feel worse about myself than anybody could feel about me." Anybody, aside from loyal Home and Away viewer Marie Phillips, who is getting sick and tired of date rape being portrayed as som kind of rite of passage for mixed up young kids, like drinking til you puke or spraying graffiti. I hate to come over all Mary Whitehouse about this, but seriously: what kind of message is this sending out to impressionable young viewers?
Next time, if you can stand it: the Whore's Trail of Home and Away's sexually predatory older women, starring Angie, Amanda, and Jazz.
UPDATE: How could I possibly have forgotten Jonah, who raped Martha's best friend, but while (of course) brainwashed, so (of course) it doesn't count, and therefore we shouldn't be at all surprised when he comes back to the Bay (of course) a reformed man, changes his name to Michael and starts (of course) dating Martha.
DOUBLE UPDATE: Turns out I was wrong about Axel. He died. Ah well.

13 comments:
Is this show about Scottish Country Dancers?
Not exactly. The girl on the left (Kirsty) is wearing Summer Bay High's distinctive tartan school uniform. Kane, misunderstood rapist number 1, is on the right.
Wow! That's really repulsive. What the fuck is wrong with young people nowadays? I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I've never seen a remotely credible rape plot on any soap ever.
I don't think your reaction is Mary Whitehouseish at all. I think kids are exposed these days to all sorts of weird slightly skewed moral viewpoints these days, because we are all so busy being non judgmental we seem to have forgotten that there is such a thing as right and wrong. I feel the older my children get the more rapidly I turn into a reactionary old bag. But even in my free thinking days I wouldn't have thought rape was ok.
"Kane the misunderstood rapist" - that's a phrase I haven't heard for a while. It brings memories of the old H&A blogging flooding back.
I also totally agree with you, but perhaps it isn't SO much about H&A writers/producers being a-ok with rape, but more about a lack of imagination/bad memories, as I have noticed a lot of repeat stories in H&A, as well as total pilfering from Neighbours. Just one recent example - Martha's "I don't know who my baby's dad is - is it the love of my life or an ex-boyfriend who so closely overlapped with said love of life? (Um, Hayley/Kim/Scott?) Same storyline - Martha's pregnancy vs. cancer treatment (Steph in Neighbours?).
For all the big stories that new wonder boy series producer Cameron Welsh has brought along recently, some of them do lack a bit of original thought.
I think about H&A way too much.
I think you should point this out to one of the feminist blogs like Jezebel or The F Word - I imagine they'd have something to say. I haven't watched Home and Away for a long time, but it sounds like it hasn't got any better in recent years!
Marie, I know I should laugh, but the whole thing does seem absurd. Your right about being both a working in an office woman and being Canadian. Maybe that is why convoluted "home and rape" storylines just don't work.
I think I'm glad I've watched Neighbours for twenty+ years, rather than Home & Away.
I absolutely agree with henry.Basically,I think H&A is a great show. You have to appreciate the history to enjoy the show. The show has a lot of history and helps budding young actors get started.The show is obviously a little exaggerated I mean our ordinary life is not as adventurous but I think that's what makes us (the viewers) watch it.
Try tis : Home and away Download.Tats interesting!!
Good blog. I really like it. Thanks for sharing. Actually I am a big fan of TV Shows. And I always watch all my favorite series online.
Click here to download and Watch TV Shows Online.
Post a Comment