Tuesday, 15 July 2008

What a Contrast!

Last night was Thomas Middleton's 1606 play, The Revenger's Tragedy at the National. No risk of not following what was going on there. Of course, it did help, as my companion pointed out, that the characters told you what they were going to do before they did it, then did it, and then recapped afterwards about what they had done, and it's pretty much all sex, disguises and lots and lots of murder, which is all nice and visual, but even so, the key is: I almost never felt as if the dialogue was running away from me. Perhaps the language wasn't as idiomatic as Shakespeare, but even so.

Quite aside from that, it was a brilliantly designed, strikingly modern production, almost over the top but still controlled, and full of shocks and gore. The acting and directing were perfectly pitched to be large enough to carry the dialogue where it was difficult, but still retain genuine emotional resonance. And it was one of the very few plays of this type I've seen where I didn't think that the storyline and mounting bodycount were laughably ridiculous, probably because of the magnificent scene-setting of the opening minutes - some of the best theatre I've seen - which place you convincingly in that dark, decadent world.

In conclusion of what has become an unexpected two-part post (see below for the related first half), it shouldn't matter if the play is written in Early Modern English, it is possible to follow the dialogue if it is well performed, and directors do audiences a disservice by assuming we are all familiar with plays that we might not be, and not bothering to make the meaning clear.

Tickets for The Revenger's Tragedy at the National are still available, and it's part of the travelex season, so they are dead (so to speak) cheap (mine were £10).

8 comments:

Persephone said...

What I meant to ask you yesterday: Did you get to sit down? I, alas, am reaching the point in my life (hell, I've reached it!), where I can't stand for a duration of a play or concert. Just can't do the groundling bit...
Other than that, I'd simply love to take in a play at the Globe, although being in Canada is somewhat of an obstacle.

By the way, congratulations on finding a way around the dearth of things to watch on television. Theatre! What a concept!

Marie said...

Yes, and on the advice of a more Globe-experienced friend I brought a cushion to soften the unforgiving bench. Now I know why they wore such padded breeches and skirts back in the day...

Jane Henry said...

Now you're talking. Jacobean tragedy is just fab fab fab. All of it. It's dark, it's dirty, it's bloody exciting... Think I saw this eons ago at the National. Not surprised you enjoyed it. Probably NOT one I can take the kids to, in my bid to educate them in English Lit... well not yet anyway. I wanted to get them to the Globe this summer but MSND had sold out. Just as well we didn't go for Lear... Might have put them off for life.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Hi Marie. I just finished reading your book and I just want to say that I find it brilliant. I picked it up because I found the premise funny but the book was awesome from the first para. Very entertaining.

And I swear by styx when I say that.

Cheers.

Billy said...

I really, really must go and see this. It sounds amazing.

Marie said...

RWS - thank you! Also, am intrigued to see that you blog from India. Do you mind me asking where you got the book? It's not officially out there, so it's interesting to know how it reached you.

Billy - yes yes yes! go go go!

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

Hi Marie ... I bought the book for an online bookstore "http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/index.aspx"
....

It's an original Vintage book print. In fact I think it is the UK edition as the covers are the same. I am an avid book reader and wouldn't even dream of reading anything which is not original. :) ..

And I know when I say this I will sound very very presumptuous and like a dick, but I usually read 5 or 6 books at a time and after a very long time, when I read GBB, I read it at one go keeping the rest aside.

Now waiting for your second book.

I'm so glad that you blog and that I was able to say all this to you.

Sorry for the long comment.

Marie said...

"Now waiting for your second book" - yeah, me too... :(