(said Lilalia).
Readings are strange. People always ask me if they "went well". It's very hard to tell. You read out loud, people listen, sometimes they ask a few questions and then they go away. It's almost impossible to tell whether they enjoyed it or not. Much easier to guage, say, a bookgroup appearance, because then you get into a proper dialogue with the audience, and then you can tell if they're lively and responsive or bored or angry or whatever else. (I do get angry audiences, because of the god thing.) This is even more true at Bestival where the lights were shining right in my eyes so I couldn't even see the audience and it was impossible to tell whether there was anyone there at all. So I know you'd like me to report back about my readings but there's almost nothing to say. I read extracts of chapters five and six, and the "hand relief" bit got the loudest laugh. The fact that there was a laugh at all is a very good thing, as it means there was someone there enjoying it - so if you came, and you laughed (or even if you didn't), thank you! And thanks also to the nice folk from Bookends in Christchurch who were selling my book on the day - and to the nice man who bought one...
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

2 comments:
One? One! That must have been pretty damn demoralising. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the festival though.
That makes a lot of sense. Must be a rather strange and scary experience: walking out there and reading something that was at one time near and dear to your heart, and then you leave the stage. Hats off to you for being able to do this.
Post a Comment