Friday, 11 July 2008

Is it just my imagination or

is there absolutely nothing worth watching on TV at the moment? For the first time in months, my PVR is dormant, recording nothing. If I want to watch some telly, I get out a DVD. (I've been making my way through 'Firefly', if you're curious. Four epsiodes to go, I'll let you know what I thought at the end, probably, given I that have nothing else to write about.) Over the last year or so I have watched every episode of Mad Men, Heroes, American Idol, ER, Flight of the Conchords, Life on Mars, Strictly Come Dancing, and that other one, you know, the one with the man in the little flying box. And now - niet. I am BORED. And reading, for crying out loud. Who reads?

Am I missing out on something I should be watching? Or is there anything coming up that I should know about? Coming up SOON, not "back on our screens in Autumn" as they always infuriatingly say (it's just code for "scheduled to go up against something else you really like, after months and months of drought").

Sigh.

I'm off to find a book.

30 comments:

Jane Henry said...

There's Merlin in the autumn. Am hoping that's not going to be as much of a disappointment as Robin Hood which I loathe apart from gorgeous Richard Armitage. My oldest has even given up on it as she was so cross they bumped Marion off at the end of the last episode.

But yes, I know what you mean. Suddenly it's summer and the schedules are full of tosh.

Anonymous said...

Just don't watch Bonekickers unless you really enjoy screaming at the TV. It's truly *awful*.

Anonymous said...

Make sure you watch Serenity after you've finished the Firefly series — it wraps up most of the storylines. And is very good.

Anonymous said...

Firefly! Wonderful final episode, you must tell us what you think. Much better than ANYTHING on the tv now. If we didn't have a DVD collection, why we'd just have to read...

Rob Buckley said...

Yes. Bonekickers v bad - but not in a good way - unless you're drunk (cf my review). Otherwise, repeats and DVDs. I'd recommend Robin of Sherwood on ITV3 every morning (starts in 10 minutes, although it's Alan-A-Dale. Maybe hold off until Monday's episode, which is a cracker, and series two, starting on Tuesday.

Otherwise, new Top Gear on Sundays, old Top Gear every waking moment of the day on Dave, and Dragon's Den on Dave, too. And there's always Gordon Ramsay's The F-Word. Haven't watched Lab Rats from last night yet, so I can't tell whether it's funny and recommendable.

All the same, Burn Notice just started up again in the US, so I'm happy.

SAF said...

We were recording/watching maybe six things (including Heroes and that show with the blue box) on a regular basis recently. Now all that's left on the timer is My Name Is Earl, Thursdays 10:30.

For the rest of our viewing, it's heavy reliance on DVD rentals now :)

Lucy Diamond said...

Totally agree, it's all pants. Might have to get a social life and everything at this rate.

Anonymous said...

I have been whinging about the exact same thing. Lunches at work with one colleague over the past week have consisted of us trying to think o fnew programmes to sink our teeth into. My Sky plus series link is nearly empty - from Sunday after the last episode of Brothers and Sisters it wil lbe bereft of all except Neighbours adn Home and Away. The last straw was the last episode of the Who (what a drama I appear to have missed out on THERE after not checking in for a week or so ;) ) I have had a saving grace though. Two weeks ago I stumbled across the first ever episode of Sharpe on UK TV History, put it on link, and the fiance and I have been watching the whole lot every night for a fortnight now. Its been absolutely fantastic revisiting the series and I have rather predictably fallen in love with Mr Bean all over again. Butthere's only 5 episodes of that left now, and anyone who's ever seen it knows the end of the series is the poorer half. God knows what I'll do when that ends.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Agree with the Firefly/Serenity thing - they complement each other really beautifully. Am intrigued what you will say about the series - and the film.

Anonymous said...

It's depressing isn't it. I've been watching all the episodes of Frasier, I think I have watched 7 series so far. Because there has been nothing on I have been racing through them, and there are about 24 episodes per series! Next I am going to rent "Dexter".

petercmoore said...

It's true that there's nowt on to watch (though we have been watching Tribal Wives and this week University Challenge and Lab Rats have been added to the Green button).
BUT - we've actually been going out for walks and to the pub and decorating, for a nice change.

lilalia said...

Ok, social life might be a good alternative to all this tv and dvd watchin.

Otherwise, go for Deadwood and Boston Legal. I also had a moment of crazies with the first series of Prison Break (it must have been the naked tatooed torso).

Anonymous said...

Firefly/Serenity get my vote too. And Dexter is a must. I watched the first season on DVD in one weekend. Another good TV show to try is Veronica Mars. And of course, the 6 hour Pride and Prejudice with the guy that played the writer in Love Actually (tee hee)

Marie said...

Am rushing to add Dexter, Veronica Mars, Deadwood and Prison Break to my Lovefilm list (Serenity already cued up). That should help me crawl towards the Autumn. I'm really not sure about Top Gear, Rob. When I used to work at the BBC, I'd have to sit on my hands when I saw Jeremy Clarkson in the canteen to stop myself from giving him a slap. On the other hand, it does have the poor woman's DT in it, which would help tide me over til Einstein and Eddington.

Also, I am now getting all confused about my Anons. Are you all the same? Different people? Are you getting angry on the Who thread and making DVD recommendations over here? Do you think some of you could stretch to giving yourselves a number? e.g. Anon 1, who doesn't like meanness towards RTD, also enjoys watching Frasier.

Anonymous said...

No, there's nothing on. I've got the Monkey DVDs if you want to borrow them.

The Big Bang Theory was my only salvation but that has ended as well now.

Rob Buckley said...

"I'm really not sure about Top Gear, Rob. When I used to work at the BBC, I'd have to sit on my hands when I saw Jeremy Clarkson in the canteen to stop myself from giving him a slap."

Ah, why stop yourself - he threw a punch at Piers Morgan at the Press Gazette awards a couple of years back so he's obviously up for it. Actually, I quite like him. He's quite fun in Top Gear. He mocks his own image rather a lot.

Have you seen the BBC's Doctor Who/Top Gear mash-up BTW?

As for the anons, they could all call themselves Bruce to avoid confusion or just come up with exciting pseudonyms. They're welcome to try "Crimson Fireball", "Shatner's Bassoon" and "Lemuel Gulliver" if they're short of inspiration – which I'm sure they're not.

Unknown said...

I agree, nothing on tv! and yeah , bonekickers was truly truly awful! Veronica mars is great, definitely rent it on dvd, we were totally addicted to it and sad when we finished season 3. dead like me is also really good, sadly only 2 series though

Kymz said...

So many of my fave shows being discussed here. I loved Firefly so Serenity is a must if you liked it.

Veronica Mars is also another fave of mine. I watched all 3 seasons when it was first broadcast on TV. Very good TV, damn american people not renewing it.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1, here Frasier fan, who can't remember my google password, but have posted here before as Jpatsy.

Now, if you were to slap Jeremy Clarkson, try and get it televised. It would probably be the best thing on tv until Christmas.

Persephone said...

Not much better here in Canada, I'm afraid! I've been reviewing DVDs of Slings and Arrows and Bob and Rose, among other things. (I got the first season of St Elsewhere, for Christmas; must finish watching that!) Come summer, I'm retreating to Victoria, BC which boasts one of the finest DVD/video rental outlets in the world, Pic-a-flic. That's when I have my very own summer film festival in which I catch up with everything I missed over the past year(s).

Jane Henry said...

I have to chip in here as a Top Gear fangirl as are all the children. Thanks to it being on Dave every night (coincidentally a tv channel that shares not only my husband's name but his entire taste in tv programming) I can happily send them to watch it rather then Big Brother or Eastenders. Mind you... I was thinking oh yes, perfectly suitable tv viewing until I sat down one day and realised how often James May uses the word cock...

If you can drag yourself away from the crap tv, go and see Mamma Mia! Now that IS the best bit of light summer fun froth I've seen in a long time. Julie Walters is brilliant. Though if you're going to hear Pierce Brosnan sing you might be disappointed...

Alun said...

Good to see Dexter back, tho some reservations about episode 1 of new season.

Have we had the Dexter-is-sick-no-it's-not conversation? My memory is going...

Marie said...

We haven't had it here because I've never seen it. One for future posts.

Bookwyrme said...

You could try Stargate: Atlantis. It's finally on again, after one tremendous cliffhanger.

Eureka is going to be on soon, too--it's a fun show.

Billy said...

No you're right there is nothing on at the moment. But this is a good thing, as I need a break form the telly, truth be told.

SAF said...

Deadwood is awesome. But do prepare yourself for the fact that it's one of those excellent series that never got finished!

(See also Carnivale)

Anonymous said...

Whilst watching and not recording every episode of Friends and Frasier on Paramount Comedy, I stumbled on King of Queens, which was new to me and is worth watching for Jerry Stiller's performances alone. Paramount's format of two episodes a day can quickly fill up your PVR or Sky+, but they're great when there is nothing else on. Of course, you could always watch the cricket...

Anonymous said...

You are right – everything is ending for an empty summer. I think only new episodes of ‘Smallville’ on E4 are left on my viewing schedule! Have ordered the DVD boxset of ‘Blackpool’ so that might help in the dry period! ;)

Made the mistake of watching ‘Bonekickers’ last week too, was not great – I’m not even an archaeologist but as a historian various inaccuracies were niggling at me for the whole episode, on top of the ridiculous plot.

Roll on autumn with (hopefully) new series of Heroes, Supernatural and our xmas Doctor Who!

Alice said...

I agree that current TV is awful! My housemate and I are reliving our childhoods by watching The Next Generation on Virgin1, which is partly brilliantly awful, and partly embarrasingly better than anything on TV these days.

I'd add my support to Veronica Mars; I watched all three seasons in a couple of weeks recently and absolutely adored it.

I'm not a big fan of Firefly, but if you're interested in sci-fi shows, have you seen Babylon 5? I think it's some of the best storytelling that ever happened on TV. Seriously. I'm resisting the urge to squee about it in capital letters. Also I've just seen the BSG miniseries, which I thought was rather brilliant, and have the next three seasons ready to go, though I have heard mixed reviews.

I'm currently watching the X-files in big chunks. My mum considered me too young to watch it when it was on the first time around (she was quite strict!) and I never got round to catching up.

Soon Strictly will be back though; I've heard it's been extended by another two weeks, so it should start mid-to-late Septeberish?

Sarah O'Connor said...

Two words: The Wire...