Yesterday I saw King Lear for the first time. King Lear being one of the great Shakespeare plays, it's one of those ones where it's generally assumed that you know what happens, like Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello etc. I don't remember ever having not known what happens in Romeo & Juliet, in the same way that I don't remember not knowing how to walk, but my mother tells a great story of going to see it with a friend of hers when they were both students, and her friend didn't know what happened and was inconsolable at the end. As a result of which, I've always thought it would be nice to see one of these great plays fresh, as it were, and so have taken great cares over the last 32 years not to find out anything about King Lear. (Avoiding spoilers, as it were - which you will not be able to do, should you read much further).So, was my experiment a success? Sadly, no. It reminded me of a funny answer I once read from an exam paper, "I found the play very hard to understand due to it being written in Shakespeare". The sad truth is that I could barely follow the dialogue, which meant that I only kept up with the plot on the most basic level (and totally missed Edgar coming back as Old Tom - he was wearing different clothes and his hair was messy, what could I do? - which at least answers the question I always ask in the mistaken identity bits of Shakespeare, ie surely they would notice - well, apparently not. But then again Edgar is not my son.) The acting seemed very heartfelt, but at times I may as well have been watching in a different language, to the extent that I would almost have appreciated some surtitles, although that might have gone slightly against the authenticity, given that we were at the Globe.
The three people I was with, all English teachers or having studied English at degree level, and therefore very familiar with the play, were in floods of tears by the time it finished, while I was still trying to figure out whether Lear was dead or just prostrate with grief. All I could manage was to think, on an intellectual level, that it was a "good" play. I wasn't at all moved. I'd be very interested to know whether the company who staged the play had assumed that everyone would know it already and therefore hadn't bothered to worry about enunciating the lines that much - some of the dialogue shot past incredibly fast; or whether it is just a particularly hard play to understand; whether the Globe's open air, unmic-ed set up is to blame, for letting so many of the lines be swallowed by passing aircraft; or whether I am just thick. Interestingly though, I do want to see it again now - now that I have been "spoilered" and know what happens, so that I can concentrate on *how* it happens.
PS I have just been to the Globe site to set up a link, and one of the pictures they are using to illustrate the show is from the very last scene and features a very dead cast member! So they must be assuming that we all know what happens at the end.

6 comments:
Thirty-two years a Lear virgin? That's determination! I have two recommendations: 1) The 1971 film version with Paul Schofield as King Lear. This is a production by Peter Brook and was my introduction to the play. Very bleak! 2)ArkAngel Shakespeare's audio version which features among others, David Tennant as Edgar, who conveniently adopts a Scottish accent in his guise as Poor Tom. Penny Downie, whom you'll see as Gertrude when you go to DT's Hamlet (pauses to spit out envious bile), is Goneril in this version. I had the pleasure of seeing her in The Penelopiiad last autumn in Ottawa.
I think you'll find the diction in both versions impeccable.
I'm not sure I could describe the plot of King Lear, but I do know the ending.
I went to see at the Globe a while back as well. Having studied King Lear at A-level in some depth, I did follow the plot and so loved the whole experience. Most of the people i was with didn't know the plot at all, and found it very hard to follow as well.
Shakespearean English isn't modern English - fact. Therefore it is like watching a play in a language that you speak enough only to get by in restaurants and train stations. Difficult!
But I am soooo going to see A Midsummer Night's Dream later in the summer now...
I think we also know the pitfalls of Shakespeare being made too accessible, though I'm not sure if my anecdote belongs precisely in that category. In the '70s I saw "Taming of the Shrew" at NYC's outdoor Shakespeare In The Park (Raul Julia, Meryl Streep). A terrible rainstorm developed, prompting Julia to look up at the sky, smile, then after the proper pause he delivered his line (I never checked on whether it was an ad lib): "And NOW my reign begins." It may not have been exactly what Shakespeare had in mind, but I don't think anyone thought it was the end of the world.
Am also in awe that you have remained unspoilered by not seeing Lear. Having just sat through a largely incomprehensible version of Under Milk Wood at my daughter's school I can understand your pain... I REALLY wished I'd read the text because I understood about one word in ten.
I have a feeling I've never actually seen Lear performed, so don't know whether I'd get it or not.
I did go to see Cyrano de Bergerac once without knowing the ending (I was confused by Roxanne, which I've also never seen, but thought as it had Steve Martin in the ending must be happy.) I was also inconsolable at the end...
I also really enjoyed watching Cranford as it is so rare to watch costume drama without knowing the story...
Am sure Persephone is right. The answer is to watch it again with David Tennant!
I love Lear, we studied it for A'level. But you should definitely see it again: it's all about why more than how; the terrible chain of events that Lear sets off through his foolish pride. The Revenger's Tragedy sounds great, but it's not likely to be coming soon to a theatre near me!
Post a Comment