Saturday, 3 November 2007

Strictly Come Dancing Week 5

It's only week 5 and already the costume budget must be running very low, because Tess was sporting a plastic patent leatherette belt that cost £3 from Matalan, Kenny had two-tone underpants underneath his kilt, Kelly was only allowed the back half of her skirt, and the female professionals had to split the fabric for one outfit between three. Pass the feathers.

It was Paso Doble week which is always a treat because who doesn't like a bit of cape action? Well, Matt apparently, but I still think he's great, even though he fell over, so I will overlook this sorry retreat from camp. In fact lots of my assumptions were turned on their heads this week: I'm starting to like Kenny, which is just perverted, Kate was halfway decent, which is a miracle, Leticia's face-dancing (expression of the week: is something burning?) was a joy, plus she had the best choice of song ever (Live and Let Die) or at least I thought so until Kenny came on and started ballroom dancing to a light entertainment reworking of Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out, which made me think I was hallucinating, Gethin no longer dances like a piece of well-oiled teak, in fact I'd go so far as to say he was good, I actually liked Kelly's cape-waving, and I'm sure Brucie said something funny at one point but I can't remember what. Then again, neither can he.

Alesha remains blog mascot even though - or do I mean because? - she was sporting dayglo sulphurous yellow nail polish and matching eyeshadow. WHTTM thumbs down this week goes to John Barnes - you're a sweet man, but a bit rubbish, so off you go, although if you want to leave your *gorgeous* son Jordan at the door feel free. Or otherwise the increasingly charmless Dominic, currently being kept afloat by Lilya's characteristically effervescent choreography. Dominic: you can't really dance, so there is no need to look grumpy when you are being given incredibly generous 7s by the judges.

It will be interesting to see if voting regains some kind of sanity tomorrow... I have half a suspicion that the judges were nicer to the crap dancers this week and ruder to the good ones to ward off more of last week's flagrant sympathy voting.

Videos here, with commentary apparently: ooooooooh!

3 comments:

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Oh you just continue to be generally right about everything. Live and Let Die, the nail-polish, Dominic's charmlessness, the tempered judging... all spot-on. :)

Anonymous said...

I must say that for pure entertainment value I loved Kenny, he will almost certainly never be better. Kate definitely did enough to stay out of the bottom two as she showed huge improvement, not that this is what people tend to vote on.

I know the results because of my frequenting the betting exchanges so won't give anything away but I really enjoyed last night's show.

I am warming to Alesha as she comes across as 100% genuine. Still think Matt is one of the finalists though.

Unknown said...

Yup, entirely agree, particularly about Letitia's face-dancing. I'm very glad she's stopped constantly dancing with her mouth open, it was really doing my head in.