Everything else was a bit of a shambles too. Poor Jade busted her knee in dress rehearsal and couldn't dance, which was selfishly awful because I was dying to see her tango, and even worse than that it could have implications for her Olympic training, and it was a horrible start to the show to see her sitting in her apparently quite lovely dress (well it does happen) too upset to speak. And Laila buggered her ankle, danced anyway, and had to be carried off halfway through in tears. And then - AND THEN - my beloved Phil and Katya got knocked out. (Also, I didn't like the different music they used when the dancers came down the stairs at the start of the show, and I have been wondering where I can put this into the paragraph of Strictly disaster without looking totally shallow, but there is nowhere, and I am totally shallow, but please can we have the old music back?) Basically, this was the Strictly Come Dancing of DOOM.
For what it's worth, though, to the copples.
Phil and Katya, American Smooth. As soon as I saw they were first I knew they were in trouble. Unusually for Strictly, there is nobody I hate left in the show, and I'm guessing most people feel the same way, so dance order is key. Dancing first is a bit of a disaster, because by the end nobody can remember what the hell it was that you did, even if it was a lovely American Smooth and if I just let my eyes go blurry a bit it could be me whirling round in the arms of Phil Tufnell, if by blurry I mean "colour blind" as Katya INSISTS on being blonde, but I love Phil doing ballroom, and, SOB, now there will be no Phil. I really need to start watching Strictly on Saturday nights so I can actually vote.
Ricky Whittle and Natalie, Jive. Funny how now that I know Ricky and Natalie are boffing I don't like it any more. It's the old will-they-won't-they thing, it all goes horribly wrong when they actually do. Like Moonlighting, and Northern Exposure, and that boyfriend I had a few years back, no need to go into details. Anyway. I really liked this jive which went at the speed of light, and I tend to be very disappointed by jives, which is Jill Halfpenny's fault for showing how good they can be, in the same way that Mark Ramprakash has raised the bar impossibly high for salsas. Another positive was that Natalie danced it in great big pants. I am a big fan of jive outfits consisting of great big pants. It's like the dancer is trying to figure out if the support knickers she's got on in the changing rooms at M&S are going to be stretchy enough to allow the full range of movement without causing gangrene.
Ricky Groves and Erin, Viennese Waltz. We all know how I feel about the Viennese Waltz. It is enough to say that the most interesting thing about this one is that Ricky had his glasses on. This was the other dance in the dance off and I'd have sent them home myself, but then again, I do not go to bed at night imagining myself being held in the sweet soft arms of Ricky Groves, while being dressed as Erin Boag.
Chris and Ola, Paso Doble. Utterly ludicrous in every way. I thought Chris was going to strangle himself with his cape, or, failing that, choke on his own face. But Chris and Ola have won the hearts and minds battle and may well make the final. It's like watching Sylvanian Families dance, you can't resist. Visual aid for Sylvanian Families:

Now imagine those rabbits doing the Paso Doble. Alesha gave them a 9, which was beyond the call of sanity.
Laila and Anton, rumba. The rumba, as you know by now, gives me a full body cringe which is like a Mexican Wave starting at my toes all the way up to the roots of my hair, but somewhere around my bellybutton Laila burst into tears and was carried off. Maybe it was her ankle, maybe it was having to pretend to want to shag Anton. Who can say? But up til that point it was looking pretty good. Craig's 3 was a masterclass in humbuggery.
Natalie and Vincent, foxtrot. This is the "I can't remember it" dance of the week. There is always one. It's probably when I hit a blood sugar low or something. I do remember Natalie pretending to be a tortoise in the VT though. Terrifyingly convincing.
Ali and Brian, Cha Cha Cha. To the weirdest music you can imagine. Some kind of electro thing. Really not the wisest style of music to give to Dave Arch, his Fabulous Singers and his Wonderful Orchestra, who tend to be in their comfort zone singing Frank Sinatra. And Ali was wearing hair extensions. And the Cha Cha Cha is another potentially very stupid dance. And I am sick of this boffing storyline too. Astonishingly, with all these handicaps - arguably a harder ask than dancing on Jade's busted knee - this was very good.
Of the entertainment while awaiting the Dreaded Dance Off, I would like to draw particular attention to the special guest singers. Last week, I complained of Strictly's penchant for inviting people on who are past retirement age - the BeeGees, Rod Stewart, Brucie himself, and I forgot, but was reminded in the comments, of Andy Williams (82). This week Strictly made a special effort, by booking some actual young men to sing, which made a nice change. Of course, it was the cast of the Jersey Boys, pretending to be Frankie Valli (75) and the Four Seasons, but it was a zimmerframed step in the right direction.
Like Samuel Beckett, who I am sure would have loved Strictly, I can't go on, because after that all roads lead inexorably to the departure of Phil and Katya. But if you want to watch the whole thing, including that sad, sad ending, you can catch it, as usual, over here.

9 comments:
Snort at the Sylvanian family reference; you're completely right! Mariah Carey was due to appear on Sat night, but was pulled at the last minute, apparently Simon Cowell didn't want her on anyone else's show but his. Jersey Boys were far better than she would have been, no doubt!
Marie - you've missed the most interesting thing. Jade was given a free pass to the next round for injury. But what would have happened if Leila had been in the bottom two, but unable to dance because of her injury? Would it really have been fair if she had been knocked out because she couldn't dance due to an injury, but Jade wasn't? It would have been fascinating to see the BBC squirm...
I don't think that Mariah Carery pulled out of Strictly, she's just running a few days late because she's been stroking her puppies and changing outfits.
Anna May x
Brian, if I had been the producer and Laila had been in the bottom two, I would have staged the dance-off at the beginning of the following week. Equally I would have had a stash of pre-recorded pro dance footage to fill the final minutes so that the show didn't under-run. But for baffling reasons I am not the producer, and god knows what they have in place for that eventuality. As far as Jade is concerned, none of it was her fault and I think the free pass was fair.
Thank goodness Strictlywatch is back! In its absence I had to write my own review on kimire.com, just to get things off my chest, but yours is much better.
lol! I haven't seen nor thought about Sylvanian Families for a million years....ok not that long, but you know.
Thanks for another great review.
The Strictly rules are that if a celebrity can't dance on medical advice, they have one free pass to the following week. Jade was given medical advice not to dance (she's dislocated her knee) so gets a free pass. If she can't dance on Saturday, she will probably have to leave.
Laila sprained an ankle and was given medical advice that she could dance therefore she had the choice to dance or withdraw. If a dancer does 50% or more of a routine, they are judged on what they danced.
Phil (keyhole surgery on knee), Ali (dislocated toe) and Ricky W (hamstring) have all had injuries but danced on medical advice. Ali survived a dance off so I suspect Laila would have been encouraged to 'have a go' and be judged on whatever she danced - it may not be fair, but was it fair for Ali?
Lovely to have Strictlywatch back, Marie, and I hope you're feeling better.
It was a strange show on Saturday, a sort of Holby City with sequins. Mind you, it had everything - drama, romance and a comedy hairstyle for Natalie Cassidy. Pure Saturday night entertainment, all in one show.
Thank you for the entirely appropriate Sylvanian Family reference, which has effectively banished all thoughts of hobbits from my mind whenever I see Team Cola dance.
It was a truly appalling paso, but I knew it would be as soon as Ola flung herself across Chris and away again (look at me, I am a cape!). Kristina did an identical move with John Sargeant last year and, alas, this dance was not much better.
Claudia was utterly brilliant in her backstage role, but she is too funny to be allowed any closer to Brucie, as she would upstage him - effortlessly.
Word verification: foolet (a jester's cheerleader?)
Introducing San Diego's all-new Surfer Beach Hotel, your complete year-round vacation headquarters situated on the sands of the Pacific Ocean. Located just minutes from popular attractions including the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and the downtown Gaslamp District, you'll discover a variety of accommodations including single rooms for the business traveler or our convenient kitchenette units for families on the go.
Surfer Beach Hotel (Oceanfront) Pacific Beach San Diego
multifuncionales
Post a Comment