Wednesday, 25 November 2009

Sebastian Barry: The Secret Scripture


As mentioned a while back, I'm not too well at the moment, and one of the symptoms is being extraordinarily tired much of the time, so I am spending several hours a day in bed reading.

Yes, you're right. It could be a lot worse.

First up for discussion is Sebastian Barry's 'The Secret Scripture'. This is the second Sebastian Barry book I've read, the first being the heartrendingly brilliant 'A Long, Long Way', his account of a young Irish soldier in the First World War. That one was on the Booker shortlist in 2005, and lost to John Banville's 'The Sea', and I can't say whether that was fair as I have not read the latter, but I find it hard to believe it could be much better than 'A Long, Long Way' which is the best book by far I've ever read about WW1, and I have read many of the usual suspects (Pat Barker trilogy, 'Birdsong' etc.)

So I was very excited about reading 'The Secret Scripture', also Booker shortlisted, this time in 2008. This one is about a 100-year-old Irish woman, Roseanne, who has been in a lunatic asylum since the 1950s, and the doctor who is trying to determine her mental state to see if she is fit for release when said asylum is scheduled for demolition. The book moves between the diaries of both characters, that of Roseanne detailing her upbringing in early 20th century Ireland and the events that led to her incarceration, and that of the Doctor describing his attempts to uncover the truth about her, and his sadness at the recent loss of his wife.

So far so good, and it is wonderfully written and evocative, if not quite to the heights of 'A Long, Long Way'. But I had a dim memory of one of the Booker judges having broken ranks and saying that the reason that 'The Secret Scriptures' had missed out on the Booker win (to Arvind Adiga's 'The White Tiger') was that it had an incredibly bad ending. Of course I was intrigued to see if that would turn out to be the case.

Well, let me tell you. 'The Secret Scripture' has the most stupid, ridiculous, laughable, demented, throw-the-book-out-of-the-window endings I have ever come across. It is awful. It is insane. You wonder what the hell possessed Sebastian Barry, and what makes it worse is I don't think that this was a help-what-do-I-do-to-finish-this, I-know, it-was-all-a-dream ending, I think this ending was planned right from the very start. And it is also completely unnecessary. You could have had exactly the same book with a vastly different ending, barely changing anything else about it, and it would have been a fantastic book about which I would not have had a word of criticism. How did this get past his agent and his editor? How?

I don't know whether to recommend that you read it but skip the last 50 pages, read it and relish in the horror of the terrible ending, or just don't read it at all. I'm inclined to point you in the direction of 'A Long, Long Way' instead, as well as Maggie O'Farrell's similarly-themed 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox'.

Ironically enough, 'A Long, Long Way' has an exceptional ending, indeed one of my favourite endings of an book, that had me sobbing my little heart out.

Sebastian Barry: see me after class.

More book reviews to come.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm intrigued because as you know I too loved 'A Long, Long Way'. Tell me, does the ending rank worse than that of 'The Handmaid's Tale'? Because that's one book I wish I'd never read the last chapter of.

BookMark said...

Ouch. I loved Long, Long Way but will steer clear of this, thanks for the tip.

Get well soon.

Marie said...

Rebecca: in my opinion, the ending to The Secret Scripture is WORSE than the ending to The Handmaid's tale. Yes. That bad.

BookMark: Thank you. I am planning to read Barry's back catalogue so I'll report back on which of those are not spectacularly ruined in the final chapters...

Marie said...

Just googled "Secret Scripture Ending" with interesting results - here's what Barry himself had to say - from the Guardian:

'Barry admitted that, from the first, there had been dispute about the ending, and that even some of those readers who loved the book could, at best, only "forgive the ending, in a Christian way".'

Quite.

William Rycroft said...

First of all Marie I'm sorry to hear you're unwell at the moment. All best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, I hope there's some small solace in having some time to immerse yourself in books.

Secondly we appear to be the same person. By which I mean that if I had decided to write a piece about The Secret Scripture today it would have read the same, virtually word for word, as your own piece here. To prove it I direct you to my reviews of The Secret Scripture and A Long Long Way. The important things to note are Rubbish Ending and Crying Like A Girl respectively. I've since read The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty and have Annie Dunne saved up for a moment of need. I love the way that his novels deal with the same characters, taking the time to focus on the story of one at a time. That's the mark of a writer who is character driven (as you might expect from a playwright) and what makes the books so endearing and engaging. I suspect that time will show him to be the greatest Irish writer of his generation. I also predict more tears. Looking forward to more of your book reviews...

Marie said...

Shh, William Rycroft, don't get people wondering why we're never seen in the same room at the same time...

Just your review of A Long Long Way had me sniffling again. I may have to read it again, and get everybody in the world who hasn't yet to read it too.

prashant said...

I loved Long, Long Way but will steer clear of this, thanks for the tip.
Make website india

Della said...

wow! I see many pple love 'A Long Long Way'..I always hold back in reading books that talk about wars..is it very dry?

i feel like reading a book now..i reckon you would recommend me 'A long Long Way' rather than 'The Secret Scripture'?

Anonymous said...

I couldn't forgive the ending, in a Christian way". But still I couldn't skip the last pages, I just knew it would be like that, predictible.

Nada said...

I couldn't forgive the ending, in a Christian way". But still I couldn't skip the last pages, I just knew it would be like that, predictible.

Green Kokichi said...

Introducing San Diego's all-new Surfer Beach Hotel, your complete year-round vacation headquarters situated on the sands of the Pacific Ocean. Located just minutes from popular attractions including the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and the downtown Gaslamp District, you'll discover a variety of accommodations including single rooms for the business traveler or our convenient kitchenette units for families on the go.
Surfer Beach Hotel (Oceanfront) Pacific Beach San Diego
multifuncionales