
SCENE: INTERIOR, BASEMENT CORRIDOR OF A BAR IN HOXTON SQUARE. NIGHT.
It is a short corridor with unmarked doors at each end, and the entrances to the Ladies' and Gents' toilets next to each other in one of the walls.
MARIE PHILLIPS emerges from the Ladies' toilet. She is a 33-year-old novelist of very minor renown. She pauses in confusion: unequipped with any kind of sense of direction, she does not know which of the two unmarked doors leads to the bar.
A MAN comes out of the Gents'. MARIE turns to him in some relief.
MARIE: It's this door isn't it?
Midway through this sentence, MARIE realises that the MAN is in fact DOMINIC WEST, internationally acclaimed 39-year-old star of THE WIRE. DOMINIC WEST is far taller, better looking and less sweaty than his character JIMMY MCNULTY appears on screen, and is wearing a particularly fetching tweed jacket.
DOMINIC WEST: (slightly surprised to have been addressed) Yes, I think so.
MARIE opens the door which does indeed lead to the staircase up to the bar.
MARIE: They really should mark these doors.
DOMINIC WEST: Nonsense.
[Long pause]
DOMINIC WEST: Then we wouldn't have had this exchange.
MARIE and DOMINIC WEST walk side by side up the stairs.
MARIE: This brilliant exchange.
They both laugh.
[Very long pause]
MARIE: It's not one of my better ones.
MARIE and DOMINIC WEST return to their respective tables.
CUT

16 comments:
ooh! its like brief encounter, only with DOMINIC WEST. i'm tingling a little! :)
Of course, I had to google him to see what he looked like (being in Canada, y'know). Tell me, does he really look as much like Ioan Gruffudd as his photos seem to indicate? Because that would have been enough to turn me into a blithering idiot. Congratulations on remaining articulate.
ambalmOh Marie, what a sweet interlude!
Tingle.
Uncertain as to why the word verification appeared above. Soz!
Oh that's so funny, Marie. What a fab thing to happen!! Is he single???
Only bloke I have ever met in girl's loo is a mate from our local. He was pissed. So was I and he swore I was in the wrong place (he was). We had just moved to area, and landlord made him apologies to Spouse.Our mate mortified, we both thought hilarious and have been friends ever since. Funny story. But not a patch on meeting DW!! (Can you start hanging round loos in celeb spotting places on the offchance of repeating experience with David Tennant?)
Fabulous. I am truly jealous.
PS What does his real voice sound like?
Hmm. Dominic West not married, but signs point to not single either - http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2008/oct/26/dominic-west-the-wire-television
Niki - voice to be found on www.cartenoire.co.uk
Are you sitting comfortably??
What with this and your David Mitchell Twitter replies I am desperately trying to keep the green eye under control. Not working.
I had to Google him too...but by the looks of his photos I would have been reduced to an awkward silence at seeing him.
I second Jane Henry's motion, the one about you hanging out "around loos in celeb spotting places on the off chance of repeating experience with David Tennant"; because a girl has got to live vicariously somehow. lol ;-)
McNulty! He’s such a dam maverick. I’m half surprised he didn’t just walk into the ladies and spend the rest of the night drinking in there. He walked beside you – that’s almost in front of him – and we all know Mcnulty never lets anyone stand in his way no matter who he hurts. Dam that McNulty, he’s the biggest pain in the ass, but dam it, he gets results.
Mmmm... lovely sweaty Dominic West.
Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) touched my back the other day at Big Chill Bar.
It was beautiful.
Oh Anna. You win, you win, you win. Was he wearing his glasses? Oh, Idris. Siiiiiiiiigh.
I just love that bit in the first series, just after he's vomited in the hospital, where his boss tells him he's not responsible for his colleague's being shot, and he looks so tearful and naughty and, oh god, someone take the keyboard away from me..
It reminds me of that great line in 'New Kind of Love' with Paul Newman: I want a girl, just a like a girl that daddy met in the men's room.
What a great encounter.
Post a Comment