Tuesday, 31 March 2009

I Need A Hero. With A Screwdriver.

Have been Twittering about the filing cabinet of doom but this is deserving of a real blog post.

Perhaps it seems strange that I would want a filing cabinet. But I am self-employed and work from home and I have a lot of paperwork. Those Polish book contracts need to go somewhere. Also have been all excited reading a book called Getting Things Done - in life, I dearly aspire to be the type of girl who Gets Things Done - and one of the key instructions in Getting Things Done is that I need a decent filing system.

So I ordered a filing cabinet form John Lewis. Looks innocuous, doesn't it? Also, expensive. But there's a lot of metal in there - 32 kg of metal, and 32 kg of metal costs. And I am willing to invest that money in Getting Things Done, because if this were a Mastercard advert, Getting Things Done would be priceless.

This is not a Mastercard advert, and what is actually priceless is having 32kg and £259 worth of filing cabinet in 214 pieces on the floor of my study. I have self-assembled before. I am an Ikea veteran. But this is above and beyond. There are bits you have to glue. Glue, I tell you. And the pieces are all referred to by five-digit numbers, except those that have one or two letter codes. There are 15 pages of instructions. There are 27 diagrams each with an average of four sub-diagrams. There are ten different types of screw. That's a whole Kama Sutra of DIY right there.

Here is what the book Getting Things Done has to say on the subject of assembling flat-packed filing cabinets:

That's right. NOTHING.

Meanwhile, I am just a girl with a screwdriver. Not even a sonic screwdriver (wherefore art thou Doctor?) And I am manifestly not going to Get This Done.

I made a pitiful call to John Lewis. I believe that the words "I'm a single girl" may have passed my lips. I have no shame. (My mother pointed out that saying "I'm a single man" would not have helped my cause in quite the same way. First sign of DIY and my feminist credentials go flying out of the window.) I explained about the 15 pages of instructions and the 214 parts. I reminded them that this thing cost me £259 already. I swore that I was not inexperienced in flat-packing, but that I had never seen anything like this in my life. I think I finally broke them with the mention of glue. The nice woman on the phone is going to discuss it with her supervisor. I am hoping they will send me a man with a screwdriver. Second hope: they will allow me to return it despite torn packaging. Otherwise I am going to have a mountain of Not Got Done metal on the floor of my study until the end of time.

10 comments:

Robert Hudson said...

Seven thousand years is just one day at a time

Marie said...

Another wise proverb: man likely to be in room with filing cabinet within 24 hours should close mouth and bring screwdriver.

Chris Wild said...

Tut tut.. I didn't expect a "wherefore art thou" error from you Marie...

:)

Marie said...

For what purpose are you, Doctor, if you do not come here and assemble my filing cabinet?

Yeah it was an error, but it still works ;-)

Titian red said...

If you're really lucky you might get Dr Who, instead of jobbing builder - but which would you choose ?

Titian red said...

Dr Who that is - Tom Baker or David Tennant, hard decision

Marie said...

Titian Red, you're obviously a newcomer - welcome! - otherwise you'd know the answer to that question. Do a little search for David Tennant on this blog... :-)

Titian red said...

Newcomer, indeed.... and now having read through back catalogue, and paused for breath due to excessive laughter, see there is really no doubt as to which Doctor. Bad luck, he's mine ! Well, when Edward Norton tires of me anyway.
Really enjoy your writing, it is one of lifes new pleasures finding a good blog. Thank you.

Marie said...

I feel secure - Ed Norton will never tire of you, Ms Red.

Blogger said...

Discover how 1,000's of people like YOU are making a LIVING from home and are fulfilling their wildest dreams right NOW.
GET FREE INSTANT ACCESS