Back in January I reviewed the first episode of Being Human. To summarise: I totally loved it. Last night the final episode of this series was aired: so did Being Human live up to my expectations?Oh my god YES. YES it did. I completely loved it. I loved it more than I love Doctor Who. I am going to put that statement all by itself so that we can stand back in awe of it.
I loved it more than I love Doctor Who.
Yes. I'm shocked too.
I am trying to put my finger on what it was that appealed to me so much about it, and I've come down to the following: It was intelligent. It was emotional. It was surprising. It was funny.
Intelligent. Emotional. Surprising. Funny. I've rarely been so excited, so moved and so consistently wrongfooted by any TV drama - the only ones I can think of are real top-end shows like The Sopranos or The Wire, so to find these qualities in some humdrum little BBC3 yoof-oriented fantasy prog with a special effects budget that only extends to a plastic wolf mask is completely remarkable. The lesson: you don't need a huge budget, you just need a sharp script, a talented bunch of performers, and really good taste in incidental music. I'm taking notes.
Something else to admire: Being Human took proper risks. Key characters were killed often enough so you never felt safe. Plot expectations were set up and subverted. Yes, Owen killed Annie, we all saw that coming. But did anyone expect his reaction to her haunting him? Nina was always going to find out about George's secret. But who foresaw that she'd get implicated in that particular way?
And there's more: it was properly nasty and dark, which is what a horror-fantasy should be. The fact that it was aimed at adults (albeit young adults) and shown in a post-watershed timeslot meant, for example, that the violence could be really violent (George's beating by a gang of vampires), which in turn meant that the stakes (see what I did there?) were higher. Bad things could and did happen (Mitchell getting staked), extreme consequences of actions could be shown (the blood farm in the basement). There was just a hell of a lot more to it than in the average British fantasy show. Who was it that decided that fantasy should be for a "family" audience anyway?
The other key element was that in only six episodes, the three lead characters developed a deep, complex friendship that I was able to completely believe in and invest in. The budding will-they-won't-they dynamic between Annie and Mitchell, instead of taking centre stage as you might expect, is only a small part of it. I'm struggling to think of a TV drama which has been so convincing about the nature of friendship. This Life? That's going way back. And the minor characters were far better-drawn and more nuanced than usual for this kind of thing: Nina, Owen, Herrick, Mitchell's ex-girlfrind, the sarky vicar (bring him back for Season 2 please!) etc - they all added so much richness to proceedings.
I say "this kind of thing". Of course, British TV has produced weighty and important dramas which are better than Being Human - State of Play, Our Friends In The North, and so on. But what's so fantastic about Being Human is that it's shown that being a low budget, minority channel, "genre" series is no excuse for lazy scripting or dull, unimaginative storytelling. It has raised the bar for everyone. Top marks.
If you're in the UK, I think you can watch the whole of Being Human on iPlayer, but only for the rest of the week.

14 comments:
Thanks for the review. Loads of people have told me to watch this (the thinking being "she writes paranormal fiction therefore she'll want to watch it too", which isn't entirely wrong actually. Unless it's as good as you say in which case I may feel a bit sick) and now I can - one episode after another after another.
Hmmm...that means another week when I won't get any writing done. Oh. Consider thanks reduced a tad.
I liked it, too, although I thought the Toby Whithouse episodes were better than the others.
Without spoiling things, I'm not sure what you're getting at with 'implication' - wasn't it established that Dean Lennox Kelly was the party responsible? And wouldn't Nina have done something at the same time as George did if she had been? I think they're implying something else there.
As always, if you liked Being Human, see if you can get hold of Channel 4's Ultraviolet if you've not seen it before - vampires done in an adult way, with Jack Davenport, Idris Elba and Susannah Harker - by one of the blokes who wrote This Life.
More than Doctor Who? Is David Tennant in this, then?
I suppose I'd better start looking for this on YouTube, although I'm sure it will turn up in Canada eventually.
You can watch the pilot episode courtesy of moi over here; there are prequels as well, but I don't think they'll play outside the UK.
Persephone, I think I maybe in Marie's camp, and love it more then Dr Who too. And I am totally in love of geeky George as played by Russell Tovey.
Rob/Marie am confused. I thought George scratched Nina by mistake and therefore has turned her into a werewolf, or do you think she was one anyway. We don't of course yet know the secret of who gave her those scars.
Calistro Watch It! Am getting quite evangelical about BH.
Oh and Marie, yes, yes. More of the sarcy vicar. He was great...
Woo. Spoiler alert Jane! Oh well.
Not sure who scratched Nina. I didn't think she ever came in contact with George as werewolf, although come to think of it, didn't he give her shove when he was a partial werewolf with long nails? Didn't think he'd scratched her though, and I don't think she was one already since she would have wolfed up with George, too.
I do like it more than Doctor Who, too. Easy.
Calistro: the word you are looking for is *research*...
Rob / Jane - I thought it was George's nails that got her. Maybe there's a latency period. I guess we'll find out come Season Two...
Ultraviolet sounds ace. Idris Elba? I am *there*.
Ultraviolet is ace. Oh yes. I put a couple of entries up about it a while back: the Corin Redgravey first one and the more Idrisy second one
Sorry sorry, didn't meant to spoiler!!! Marie/Rob I missed what had happened and thought first off ooh is she a werewolf anyway, is that the connection (or is she something else undead perhaps)? But then my husband pointed out that when she came in the room, George flung her back against the wall, so I think he probably scratched her. One of the things I have really enjoyed about BH is that so much is going on you don't always get first off what's happened (for eg I had to watch the bit with the blood farm twice last week to get it), and I like that. So much of what you see on TV is so obvious, and it's great to watch something where you aren't always entirely sure about what's going on...
Rob Ultraviolet sounds definitely up our street. Thanks for the tip...
Oh well, now I've been inspired to write a great big post about why Ultraviolet's great. It contains a playlist with all the episodes, among other things, so it should give you a way to catch up, even if you can't find the DVD.
Right, so I'm on a time limit to watch the episodes I missed then. damn: that's gonna be fun to try and do this week! But yeah, totally agree at how great it was and I only caught two eps.
Lisa, if you don't have time to see them all, episode 4 is the one to skip. Episode 5 was probably my favourite, but I've got a feeling you might like episode 3...
Lisa, would agree with Marie's assessment totally. I think you will like episode 3 too, but episode 5 also my favourite.
Episode 4 could definitely be missed if you are in a hurry.
All others absolutely cracking though.
Post a Comment