Friday, 15 August 2008

I got bored on the bus

so I started counting CCTV cameras.

Oh. My. GOD.

Before we'd even moved away from the traffic light I'd spotted seven without having to turn my head. Try it. It's terrifying. Every single thing that you do in the street is being watched by an audience of bored security guards. Apparently the UK has over half of all the CCTV cameras in the world, and I can well believe it. Of course, we also have no street crime as a result, so that's good. Shame George Orwell is dead, I think we need him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is very scary how they've proliferated. I want an invisibility cloak!

g_12 said...

I think the UK has 20% of the world's CCTV cameras... smile :-)

Stevyn Colgan said...

It gets even scarier than that ... there are 5 million CCTV cameras in the UK today, one for every 12 people. And the flat where Orwell wrote 1984 is now within 200 yards of 32 CCTV cameras ... I've blogged on it at length!