A whole bunch of people doing exactly the same thing except with infinitessimal differences barely visible to the untrained eye, or otherwise slightly slower or faster than each other to the tune of a millisecond. Amazing to take part in I'm sure, but to watch? Really?
(And should it be Athletics *are*?)
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

7 comments:
To be fair, it's more exciting when we're winning stuff. The cycling's brilliant - watch that instead. (for the purposes of the Olympics I'm british. Always have been. Don't ask me why)
I enjoy watching athletics because it is sport at its most basic. Who can run the fastest, jump the furthest or leap the highest? I enjoy the fact there are no complicated rules (except in race walking which I can do without to be honest) and no judging for artistic impression. It's just honest competition between men and woman who have taken these basic activities that we can all do and found ways to do them which most of us could never match.
There's a scene in the Amber Spyglass where Will watches Iorek repair the subtle knife and Phillip Pullman describes the pleasure you get in watching something done well. I get that from pretty much every event at the Olympics but particularly the athletics.
You know what, Colette, so am I, and I can't quite figure out why. In most other sports I tend to support France. Maybe it's because "Great Britain" Olympics fans are genuinely pleased when we win things as opposed to feeling it is our due, and are not so smug, irritating and deluded as "England" fans, when, yet again, our mediocre Football side goes out at quarter finals on penalties, like EVERY OTHER DAMN YEAR SINCE 1966, and they act all dumbfounded and hard-done-by, and then go out, get drunk and beat people up. Yes. It could be that.
My general sports philosophy: watching sports=dull; taking part in sports=interesting. The only exception is boxing, which is really dull to watch on TV, but great to watch live.
You're back! Hello MediumRob!
I am! It's true! Hello, Marie!
Zeus and co send their love, BTW (although technically I'm sure it's Aphrodite's).
No. It's completely beyond my ken. And Ken's.
Post a Comment