Thursday, 10 April 2008

About Last Night

I was inexplicably nervous before my reading at Hornsey Library last night - maybe some sixth sense as to what was to come. A warning from the gods? Though actually, aside from a bit of an anxious preamble, the reading (Chapter 6, excluding the Neil and Alice bit) went fine. And most of the Q&A went fine too. Most. But then a man stood up at the back and started to lecture the room on the Truth of the virgin birth and the resurrection. With a thick greek accent as it happens (Eros?? - in-joke for those who have read the book.) It turned out not to be a question, so I didn't answer it. The event finished and refreshments were served, which is always an opportunity for people to chat to me and get their books signed. But the normal, nice people in the audience barely got the chance, because I was cornered by Truth man and his side-kick, I Am The Way man, who had obviously decided that having written a book with God in the title, I was ripe for conversion. (Note to readers: never write a book that even brushes against religion if you don't want this to happen to you.)

At around the point at which Truth man was jabbing his finger in my face and ranting about only one man ever having been made without sperm, my trusty friends from Chance UK stepped in to rescue me. (Chance UK is a local charity that runs mentoring programmes for vulnerable primary school age children, and if you appreciate their kind act in saving me from aggressive religious nutjobs, do feel free to make a donation at their Justgiving site or on my fundraising page for them over here. Now back to the plot.) Sadly it was out of the frying pan into the fire, as I was next cornered by a man who kept asking me why I didn't write about real life but only about personal relationships, and how if I were to write a book about extraordinary rendition I would make half a million pounds, and did I know that all the judges in this country accept bribes, and by the way, could he have my phone number? (Um....... nice offer but no.)

In the taxi home, the driver asked me what I had been doing that evening. "I'm an author, and I was doing a reading in the library," I said. "So the night has died," said the driver. Odd reply, and yet - quite.

Having said all of the above, many thanks to Hornsey Library - actually an extremely nice library - for having invited me, and thanks to all the nice, non-aggressive, non-bonkers people who came who I barely got a chance to talk to.

Here's a photo of me with lovely Wendy who organised the event and did her best to shelter me from the agents of Jesus:

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Cripes. But what a poetic taxi driver. Nice flowers too.

Anonymous said...

Stripes. Full marks.

Jane Henry said...

Where's the Doctor wielding steel haloes when you need him?

Persephone said...

Wow. You must be doing well if the not-quite-from-this-dimension people are feeling passionate enough about the subject to give you grief.
For myself, I am sick with envy at anyone who can wear horizontal stripes and carry it off. They make me look like a beachball.

Marie said...

I am obsessed with stripes at the moment. I think I caught it off Rullsenberg.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yay for stripes! They look FABBY on you dear: sorry I couldn't come and help with the defence against the forces of 'Truth' but if you will persist in doing these gigs only in the Greater London area, what's a midlands girl to do!!

;) just teasing: glad you were well defended.

lilalia said...

Friends of mine were in a pub once and someone started going on the same sort of rant that this Truth guy was doing. (As a matter of fact, perhaps it was the same guy.) Apparently, everyone in the hearing vicinity got rather silent and definitely uncomfortable. That is until (a rather drunken) old woman screamed out, "Shut up you old goat!" Everyone burst out laughing and the fellow left soon afterwards. You might consider hiring some sort of bouncer in the future to ward off such idjits.

Billy said...

You get flowers if you do a book reading. That gives me an idea... of course I'll need a book to read.