Friday, 18 April 2008

The Joys of Compilation

I love making compilation CDs [would love making compilation CDs if it were legal]. It is one of my favourite things to do [or would be, if it were legal], particularly when I [would] make one [if it were legal] for a friend who I have made [in my head] many for before and whose taste I am starting to nail. Like my best friend whose birthday was yesterday and who I am spending the evening with tonight, watching the Kids from Fame. That's all the clues you're getting as to her taste, but even so, what do you think of the following CD [that I would have made her, if it were legal, but it isn't. What do you take me for?]

1. Yesterday Once More / Carpenters
2. Theme from Valley of the Dolls / kd lang
3. Fairest of the Seasons / Nico
4. Quelqu'un M'a Dit / Carla Bruni [yes, that Carla Bruni]
5. Does He Love You / Rilo Kiley
6. Fuck You / Haley Wojcik
7. 9 to 5 / Dolly Parton
8. My Name Is Tallulah / from Bugsy Malone
9. Guilty In Here / Miranda Lambert
10. My Boy Lollipop / Barbie Gaye
11. Girls On The Beach / The Beach Boys
12. And Your Bird Can Sing / The Beatles
13. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter / Madeleine Peyroux
14. The Circus Is Leaving Town / Isabel Cambell & Mark Lanagan
15. I'll Kill Her / Soko
16. Art Bitch / Cansei de Ser Sexy
17. The Dark of the Matinee / Franz Ferdinand
18. Raspberry Beret / Prince
19. Diana Ross / The Concretes
20. Tears Dry On Their own / Amy Winehouse
21. Yes / McAlmont and Butler

Is there anyone on earth aside from me who actually likes all of those songs? By the way, four of them are taken from compilations that friends who are also blog readers [would] have made me [were it legal], can you guess which? No cheating if you are the blog readers in question.

16 comments:

Persephone said...

A combination of deliberate kitsch and cool 'n' classy, from what I can tell. (Except for "Yesterday Once More" which is pure Velveeta. Ugh. Haven't heard it in years and must now try to get it out of my brain... Ugh... Ungh...) My LaunchCast station has been sending me cuts from the Carla Bruni recording for the past couple of years. It's not bad. I wouldn't buy it, but it's pleasant listening.

lauren said...

just doing a bit of random blog snooping... soko/i'll kill her - STORY OF MY LIFE. ahhh.
CSS - great
uhhh i can't remember what else was on your compilation..

anyway, your blog about the bird poo made me laugh, altho it was a bit gross. it happened to me once on my leg. i made my friend wipe it off me with a mcdonalds serviette.

CL Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CL Taylor said...

I'm guessing it's 4 of the ones I haven't heard of so...

5. Does He Love You / Rilo Kiley
6. Fuck You / Haley Wojcik
15. I'll Kill Her / Soko
16. Art Bitch / Cansei de Ser Sexy

lilalia said...

You seem to have a talent for combining music, the same as you do books. I like 9, don't know 6, and am indifferent to 5. Still, put into t cocktail together where taste blends it could all work out well.

Anonymous said...

Interesting mixture. I like all the ones I know.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Calistro is good. Do they get a prize?

Marie said...

Calistro only got one out of four, you're just confused because of the other three, one is a band (but not song) you put on a CD for me and the other two are bands we both like. BTW, where is the track listing for my most recent compilation from you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know they weren't all right. Just giving some applause for a good guess. Generating a bit of excitement. That sort of thing.

Will print your tracklist off, honest.

Are we now solely communicating through each other's blogs?

Marie said...

Apparently so.

Also, you are right, it was excellent work from Calistro. Apologies to Calistro who I am actually going to give 1 1/2 out of 4, due to one of the tracks mentioned being purchased as a direct result of a compilation I was given.

Chris Wild said...

jeez, that not so legal compilation is all over the place, for a moment I was sure you were just listing off one of my iPod playlists!!!!!!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

As a lover of the compilation - ah I *love* compilations by and for friends (shame they're not legal) - I wholly approve of this collection. Not a blooming clue though who and which artistes/songs were provided in mythical compilations by other people also not breaking the law...

Anonymous said...

swap a compilation CD (assuming it's legal)?

Marie said...

Definitely! E-mail me your address.

Anonymous said...

wots your e-mail now that SA is history?

Marie said...

Same as ever.

Poor South Africa, I had no idea. Must start reading the papers more often.