Come on down!
-
On the ninth anniversary of our escape from Hades, I find myself standing
in the parking lot beside the community activity centre, which is my
polling pl...
5 hours ago
Author Marie Phillips talks rubbish, and such big portions.
2 comments:
This is just best guesses:
a) lexical creep: superobvious to point of banality, but when no one jogged, jogging sounded harder core than it does when people run, and half running is feeling good about yourself, and it's the same as all the other examples of words, expressions and concepts which can only move in one direction (VWs don't get smaller, for instance, so when the Polo reached the size of an old Golf, they built a smaller one). It's hard to go back to Pizza Hut after you've been to Pizza Express (I can't imagine what's more posh than Pizza Express and I don't want to). It's hard to be a normal PR when you've been an event organiser. etc.
b) races. Maybe more to the point (maybe not, of course). When jogging started, joggers didn't ever run races, with literal times and everything. Now there are gazillions. Apart from the fact that only two people haven't run the London Marathon now, there are Nike 5ks, Breast cancer charities, anti-obesity things, and the all the rest. These are runs rather than jogs for perfectly fair reasons.
c) while I'm on breasts - I watched my first episode of Deal or No Deal last week. It's a very good game, but I couldn't watch it often. I was well on the side of the Banker as he tried to get the depressing, pretty, thin girl to lose the money she was going to spend on liposuction. I know that's not breasts. I was blindsided by word association. She got the money, in the end, even though her 'feeling' that Box 8 held the big prize was wrong. People with 'feelings' should be encouraged to follow them to their doom.
"When did jogging become running?"
When the things chasing started speeding up?
Post a Comment