Thursday, 7 February 2008

Free evening in Vancouver.

Snow coming down hard. I will probably eschew the sights and stay indoors in my incredible hotel, the Metropolitan, instead. The light switches are huge, and so is the bed. Minibar, fruitbowl, swimming pool (not in my room), mirrors on every possible surface, who could ask for more? I am tipping anyone who so much as looks at me. The limo driver turned it down. He is actually taking me in a stretch limo to the airport tomorrow, because that's what the people he is picking up next have ordered. This is not the most surreal thing that has happened to me on tour. That prize probably has to go the talkshow I was on this afternoon. The guest before me was an Olympic gold medalist (at least I assume so; he said "I won the Olympics", and I am assuming he doesn't mean in a raffle.) Then I come on. I mentioned how much I loved the Canadian kids' programme The Littlest Hobo when I was growing up, and they made me sing the theme tune on air. By the time I left, everyone was singing it, make-up girl, cameraman, the works.

Still loving Canada. Canadians are fantastic. I'd move here if they'd let me. I have never felt so calm anywhere. It has to be the least pushy country on earth. I have heard Canadians called boring but that's only by people who mistake shouting for interesting. I don't only believe this because my book has gone top 10 here. I should mention that I have met one unpleasant Canadian, a sleazy bookseller who only looked at my breasts as we talked. Aside from that it has been a very successful trip.

Now if you'll excuse me I have an appointment with the minibar.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You HAVE to post a clip of you singing The Littlest Hobo on your blog. I shall lobby you every day until you do so (this is no idle threat as I'm now only working three days a week and have a LOT of time on my hands). Glad you're having so much fun. E x

lilalia said...

It's all just a prop. If we didn't have one sleazy breast-obsessed bookseller we really would be boring. He adds that one bit of counterweight, not too much, not too little, to the rest of us.

Never been in a stretch limo, or any limo for that matter. Enjoy.

Rebecca said...

It never fails to astonish me that you know things like the fact that The Littlest Hobo was Canadian. I just remember the dog, and of course the tune. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Anonymous said...

My brother is a prison guard in Northern Canada, from which I infer: you must have criminals.

Helen said...

I lived in Vancouver 10 years ago and always vowed I'd move back. I got in the immigration queue last November!

Jane Henry said...

Glad you're having such a great time, Marie. And yes... I want to see that clip too. Though I don't think I ever saw the programme....

You missed an hilariously bad Torchwood last night, in which Gwen referred to the fact that they weren't in an episode of Scooby Doo. Proof positive that Russell T and co listen in on people's blogs...
I couldn't decide whether the Torchwood monster of the week (a huge space manatee) was stupider then the Primeval monster of the week (an ancestor of the shark which looked more like a walrus)....

Now there's a good competition for you when you get back...

Persephone said...

It's snowing in Vancouver? Well, that will be all over the local news, and the traffic will be nightmarish --- no one thinks they need snow tires out there. (I speak as someone who grew up in Victoria which is eighty miles away [four hours by bus and ferry]).

Feeling just a wee bit miffed, here. When you appear on radio and shows in Britain, you say where and when. Now, I actually have digital cable. If I had known when and where your Vancouver talk-show appearance took place, I could have tuned in, despite the three-hour time difference. CBC? CTV? Global? A-TV? I don't think you mentioned where your Toronto appearance was either (not that I could have made it, being five hours away by train and "childrened"). You have several Canadian readers; can we be let in on the secret? Geez, that's not very Canadian, is it? I'm sorry...

Anonymous said...

Oops! Sorry! The truth is that I don't know what time I'm going to be on or which channel. Yesterday evening I switched on the TV at the exact moment that my interview started. Very odd, and I'm not just talking about the coincidence. Like watching a distant cousin who looks a little bit like me. I'll be live on breakfast TV in a couple of hours, with Simi Sara - don't know what channel.

BTW I have only ever done one radio show in Britain and I'm sure I didn't trail it!

Persephone said...

Simi Sara is CityTV; that's Channel 135 for those with Rogers Digital Cable, fellow Canucks. (It used to be Channel 13 in the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island viewing area, but I haven't lived there for 8 years.) I'm tuned in now and will see if Marie shows up before I have to abandon house to go help supervise a Grade Five field trip to the Museum of Science and Technology. (Pray for me.)

Anonymous said...

"...who only looked at my breasts as we talked..."

Oh! Is that not allowed then?

Drat!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying Canada - from a Canadian who,it's true, doesn't like shouting much! Yes, it's too bad your dates and times weren't published. Canada's biggest book seller (chapters/indigo)even featured your book in their newsletter email, but no details of signings or interviews. Glad you sold out anyways!

Anonymous said...

Did you see it, Persephone?

Thing is, most of the stuff I did was taped so I have no idea when it went out or even if it has yet. But I'll get footage of whatever I can and post it here.

Persephone said...

Yes, ma'am, I did! You came on just as I was giving up hope. Gosh, aren't breakfast shows tedious? The same news stories, same weather, and Simi and her pal droning on and on about viewers' ideas romantic movies all morning. The one bright spot suddenly came just as my timer was going off to cue me to struggle into my forty-league boots for the kilometre-trudge up the hill through the snow (proper snow; this is Ottawa) to younger daughter's school. This lovely young lady in a fetching silvery print dress came on at the oddest time: Three minutes to noon (9 am where she was). She spoke vivaciously for five minutes, didn't sing the theme from The Little Hobo (I would have settled for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah") and then I had to run!

Not quite as thrilling as getting my book signed would have been, but lovely to see you "live", even if you were three time zones away! Have a safe trip home. Sorry for getting grumpy; I survived the field trip (including 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall on the bus) and now know that arch bridges are stronger than beam bridges and suspension bridges...

Marie said...

Thanks Persephone! It's actually a print top which I was wearing over jeans. Hadn't occurred to me it would look like a pretty dress on TV: cool! Don't worry about getting grumpy, I was actually going to post the bits of the schedule that I knew ahead of time on the blog for my Canadian readers, but I didn't have time, and in the end they changed a lot of it anyway so it wouldn't have done any good. There was only one thing I did which the public got to turn up at and I think it was a regular monthly event which was sold out by the time I joined the bill anyway. Glad you survived the field trip and live to blog another day!

erin said...

Oh no! I missed your trip Canada...that makes me sad. Would have been great to hear you read from your great book :)

Glad you enjoyed things here, though. We are pretty nice, heh?

erin (who used to live in stokey)