Saturday, 2 February 2008

The catchily-named iPod shuffle first line game

I'm off on tour to Canada (HELLO CANADA!) for a week, so in my absence I thought I'd leave a game for you to play: the catchily-named iPod shuffle first line game. Basically, it's the first lines of the first twenty songs that came up on my shuffle (or the non-instrumental English language ones anyway), and all you have to do is guess the song and the singer. No googling! You're only cheating yourselves. See you when I get back, or possibly in Canada, some of you - if you catch me on TV, be sure to wave.

1. Angry faces cursing loud
2. [spoken] I always dreamed the boy I love would come along
3. Baby do you understand me now, if sometimes you see that I'm mad
4. Well you can need me well I want you to
5. (What they do) They smile in your face, all the time they want to take your place
6. Sitting here eating my heart out waiting, waiting for some lover to come
7. And we like what you say, we got things we should learn
8. I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find there
9. And it goes a little something like this!
10. Born only a month ago yet I'm (already) fully grown from head to toe
11. Oh the top is so much better than the bottom
12. Hey Mr DJ put a record on I want to dance with my baby
13. I stumbled out of bed, I got ready for the struggle
14. Rocking on the ocean, sucking up the sea
15. A compromise between honesty and lies
16. If the nightingales could sing like you they'd sing much sweeter than they do
17. I woke up this morning and seen something bright
18. Sweet wonderful you, you make me happy with the things you do
19. This is how I look without make-up
20. The Eastern world, it is exploding

6 comments:

Persephone said...

Canada's an awfully large country. I suppose you're going to Toronto (which thinks it *is* Canada, much like London thinks it *is* England). Montreal, right? Anywhere else? I can identify about 4 songs on your IPod shuffle without googling. I feel so old...

Anonymous said...

Well, 8 is Got To Get You Into My Life, probably the Beatles; and 13 is I Can't Forget, which is a Leonard Cohen song, but the version I have is by the Pixies, off the I'm Your Fan covers album, and I have no idea which one you have. But I think the Pixies' version is better.

Milly Chen said...

I also prefer the Pixies, and I love that album. 20 is Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire. Rock on.

Marie said...

Persephone: Currently Toronto, followed by Vancouver. No Montreal. You should say the songs you know here, by the way. I should have made that clear.

Stu-n: correct anc correct. And it's the Jarvis Cocker live version off the I'm Your Man documentary soundtrack.

Milly: also correct, as I'd expect, given as you gave me that CD...

Persephone said...

Sorry, here's what I got (or sort of got):

5. is "The Backstabbers". (Can't remember the group.)
8. is "Got to Get You Into My Life" which should be the Beatles (Revolver album)
16. is sung by Maurice Chevalier, and all four Marx brothers use it when they've stolen MC's passport to try to get through Customs and exit a cruise ship on which they are stowaways in "Monkey Business" my favourite Marx Brothers flick.
20. Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire. (Didn't Phil Ochs write it?)
I keep thinking I should know #6, but I don't think it's You Wear It Well, or You Gotta Have Friends...

Anonymous said...

1 is "Part of the process" by Morcheeba and 3 is "Please don't let me be misunderstood" which could be by the Animals or possibly Elvis Costello or even Nina Simone.