Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Advice for Writers (age 10 and up)

One of my nieces is taking entrance exams for secondary schools, and while visiting her this weekend I happened to read the guidance one of the schools gives the children for story-writing under exam conditions. Two particular items caught my eye which I think could be of benefit to all writers, including those of us over the age of 10, so I will share them here:

Don't attempt to write about anything you have not experienced or cannot imagine

and

Try to finish.

(Looks at incomprehensible, unfinished manuscript of new novel, sighs, goes back to work.)

7 comments:

Helen Brocklebank said...

that's brilliant. Beats any advice Hemmingway ever gave,hands down. x

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Great advice: but don't be too hard yourself Marie.

Christine said...

I totally agree with "Don't attmept to write about anything you cannot imagine", but "have not experienced"? Writers do that all the time! Hence, imagination.

I like "try to finish" though. Sigh indeed.

(Looks forward to seeing your new novel on the shelf at the book shop)

Marie said...

I think it's an either / or re have not experienced or cannot imagine. I may have missed out the 'either' by misremembering. I hope so, anyway.

I may also be guilty of giving myself a hard time. Thanks Lisa.

MrsHentai said...

Thank you for advice :)
I read your book 'Gods Behaving Badly'. It was soo great and soo much funny... So amazingly created characters! (Apollon and Aphrodite were my favourite characters)
I'm fifteen and I have blog too and I write short stories...
Uhm...I just tell to you 'Thanks!'
(I'm sorry, my english sucks...)
Your fan from Czech republic

Marie said...

Hello MrsHentai! Thanks for your comment. Your English doesn't suck at all. (And you'll notice I'm not replying in Czech...) So glad you enjoyed the book, I love the way it reaches people in countries I've never visited, in languages I don't speak! Good luck with the blog and with the writing. Marie x

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I have to warn you that my comment has nothing to do with this post.
So if you're not interested you should stop reading it. like, now.

Anyways.. I've just finished reading "Gods behaving badly" (in it's Hebrew translation), and really loved it. Made me literally laugh out loud. Especially the part when Alice screams and screams and screams and screams.

Can't wait for your next novel,

Amir.