Thursday, 14 May 2009

To Claim Or Not To Claim?

I am concerned about expenses.

The normal way, obviously, like everyone else. (People who run our country and whose wages we already pay also think it is OK to claim for moat-cleaning?) But also because, being self-employed, I am allowed to claim my business expenses against tax, ie I do not have to pay tax on income which goes on my expenses, so effectively you the British taxpayer cover 22% of my expenses - the rest I pay for myself. (Is that right? or is it just that the Treasury has 22% of my expenses less to play with? I was never good at maths.)

But it is not immediately clear what counts as a legitimate business expense. Paper obviously, and pens, writer-y stuff like that. Library membership, maybe? Internet access? The electricity I use to run the computer that I write on and the gas to heat the room that I sit in? Stuff your employer would usually pay for, basically. Stuff I can't do my job without.

How about this: after some moderate but bulky shopping in NYC (new winter coat: J'accuse) I suffered the indignity of having my suitcase burst apart at the seams on the flight home, turning up forlorn on the luggage carousel wrapped in accusatory bright orange Virgin Atlantic parcel tape. (Me: "That's my case! - Oh, no it isn't - Oh god, it really is.") So today I went out to buy a new suitcase, because I need it to go to the Hay Literary Festival at the end of the month (I am not reading there, but I am seeing other writers read, and using the opportunity to do some schmoozing of publishers, journos, etc - business trip? Fun weekend jaunt? Who can say?), to Milan in June (book tour, 100% business) and to France in the summer (holiday, 100% fun.) I didn't buy the most expensive case, nor did I buy the cheapest. (In fact I bought the lightest, because of budget airline weight restrictions and so I can lift it in and out of the loft by myself. Also, it is a bit bigger than my old suitcase, but not so much bigger that I will lose my mind. That's the idea, anyway.)

My point is: is a suitcase a business expense? I can't do my job without it; on the other hand, if I never went on another work trip again, I would still need a suitcase, plus I think that people who go on lots of business trips in normal jobs are not provided with luggage by their bosses (correct me if I am wrong.) Before the whole MP expenses scandal I would probably have claimed it without another thought: at least 22% of my travel is work-related. But now I feel sleazy and tainted by association. I feel like Hazel Blears. I do not want to feel like Hazel Blears. God prevent me from feeling like Hazel Blears. The value of not feeling like Hazel Blears is surely at least one quarter of a suitcase. (Hazel Blears: the kind of vomit you get from eating too much Nutella?)

Anyway, I don't know. Is it legitimate? Is it illegitimate? This is as confusing as Prince Harry. And multiply that by everything I buy which I sort of use for work but also use for other things - filing cabinet? *Assembly* of filing cabinet? I can sense it's going to be a very soul-searching, guilt-inducing tax return this year.

And don't even get me started on the leaky pipe underneath my tennis court. Totally interfering with my concentration on my second novel.

9 comments:

Chris Wild said...

Best person to ask... your Accountant...

Marie said...

I've been told off by my accountant in the past for claiming too little...

TomJ said...

http://charlescrawford.biz/blog.php?single=953

A discussion of the furore in Parliament, but perhaps an instructive one in this matter.

Marie said...

"Wholly, exclusively and necessarily" - not words I've ever heard from my accountant! No suitcase, then.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I'm not sure that any accountant would ever be saying to not claim...

Jane Henry said...

"Wholly, exclusively, necessarily" - Like Lisa I doubt any accountant would ever say that, but having been employed and now self employed, I'm not sure why I should be able to claim against a train fare, when when I was employed I paid £1600 a year just for the privilege of going to work and no one ever suggested I could claim for it. I haven't earned enough to claim anything back much, but I find it hard to work out, which bits of my messy domestic/work life balance should be claimed against.
Not excusing the MPs, but I think this notion of claiming for everything you can get away with is unfortunately pretty widespread (and I think that's what Stephen Fry was trying to point out). I am guessing a culture has grown up in Westminster of people treating their expense claims as an entitlement, rather then working out what they ACTUALLY needed to claim for. Watching Margaret Becket on QT last night was particularly depressing. She clearly didn't get at all why people were angry. And you think what she's supposed to represent! I don't like Diane Abbott, but I agreed with her assessment that people are disappointed because Labour should be better then that. Well. They all should. (Am deeply disappointed in my own MP whom I've met several times, and who apparently has claimed up to £68000 and has TWO extra homes, even though he lives 17 miles from London.)

You probably can't(morally - legally no doubt you can!) exclusively claim the suitcase for work, maybe you could get away with claiming for half the cost?!

colette (scrooge) said...

If I go on a work trip (not that I ever do), I wouldn't be able to claim a new suitcase on expenses. So, no.

Pauline said...

Set your new book in France and your 100% fun holiday then becomes a research trip and instantly tax-deductible. Voila!

Question: might your hero/heroine become a suitcase consumer tester for Which? In which case (please note double pun) your suitcase purchase is purely for research purposes...

peteraj said...

And all of the above points to why we should be disappointed in ourselves for being lemming like in our rush to be disappointed in those we pay £60k to run the country (let's not get into semantics about actually who runs the country, eh) when all the time we eg claim for suitcases if we're self employed or steal envelopes if we're employed or fiddle our benefit if we're unemployed.