Monday, 4 May 2009

New York City Wardrobe Watch: I have lost count of the days

Only here for two more days. I have worn everything aside from two dresses and a cardigan. And a top. I may have to get changed a lot before I go home.

Have started to believe that I live in New York. Arguments with subway superintendents a daily occurance. Latest was trying to buy a replacement for the Metrocard I lost: the credit card machine asked me to put in my zip code, I remonstrated with the superintendent that this was not possible (the machine's numeric only), she said with great boredom: Just make up a bunch of numbers. Eventually forced her to sell me one for cash. Her face spoke volumes of outrage.

Found myself getting irritable with stupid tourists trying to get into Guggenheim museum this morning as I swanned past with my yearly membership pass. Out of my way, peasants. I belong here. Oh hang on, that would be my friend's elderly landlady's yearly membership card. There is no photo.

Haven't decided what to do tonight yet. The doorman suggested going to the Intrepid. I imagine hidden locals-only bar. Google. It is naval museum.

Tomorrow I am wearing a dress.

2 comments:

CL Taylor said...

If I ever have to enter an American zip code into an online form that doesn't accept British postcodes I use the only one I know...

90210

...as in Beverley Hills 90210.

I know, it's very sad and a reflection of the pap I used to watch in my early 20s - but it works.

peteraj said...

Fuel pumps in California are clearly more intelligent that subway ticket machines in NY. Ie they only allow a valid "zip" code. Hence as an "alien" you have to pre pay with cash or credit card in the shop. My revenge? Put 1c worth more fuel in your tank. That'll b****r up their accounting!