Every week on his blog The Medium Is Not Enough, Rob (aka MediumRob, when he comments here) posts a TV or film related meme, which usually I answer in the comments section there. This week's meme, however, deserves a post here all of its own. The question simply is: what's the most tear-jerking movie you've ever seen and why?So here's the thing. I am a full-on, unashamed movie blubber. If you are going to see a sad film with me, bring extra tissues because I will be needing them. I don't think there is anything that makes me cry more than films, except perhaps really unhelpful customer service, and missing trains, but that's a whole different post.
I should probably warn here - this post will no doubt be full of spoilers, because I am going to talk about very sad films and what makes them very sad, and maybe some of the films in question you won't know are sad or why. So reader beware...
The first film I remember making me cry was Out of Africa, which I saw in the cinema when it came out in 1985. I was nine. As I recall the bit that really got to me is when Meryl Streep can't bring herself to throw the handful of earth on Robert Redford's grave. I managed to hold it together until we got outside, but then in the street outside the Swiss Cottage Odeon my whole body went into judders. My oldest sister asked me what the matter was, and I just about managed to say "It's sooooo sad" before I was engulfed in huge, racking sobs.
From then on my sister instigated the tear test, in which, at any potentially tear-jerking juncture in any film we were watching, she would shove her finger underneath my eyelid to see if I was crying yet. She also gained huge pleasure from taking me into her bedroom, playing the theme from Watership Down on her record player, and telling me the saddest story she could think of, usually involving a dying animal, until I wept.
There were, of course, any number of films which got me teary in the interim, but the next full-on sob-fest that stayed in my memory was Beaches, which I watched by myself on video in the living room of the family home. Looking back, I can't remember what exactly it was about Beaches that got to me, but I suspect it has to do with the protracted and painful death of selfless but beautiful Barbara Hershey from cancer while her traitorous but repentant best friend Bette Midler looked on and then wrote a soppy song about it. Yes, that's probably it. Again I made every possible effort to hold it in and managed to get across to the video player, press stop, and get halfway back across the room before collapsing into floods of tears. What was significant about Beaches is that it was the first time that I knew *even as I was crying* that I had been manipulated by a shamelessly sentimental heap of tripe.
I got older, I got tougher, I learnt the ways of the world. The crying did not stop. If anything, it got worse.
Take Atonement, for example, which I went to see with a new friend, after which - despite (or because of?) having read the book, and knowing exactly what was coming - I was so hysterical I couldn't leave my seat in the cinema, and had to wait while the whole of the rest of the room filed out, nudging each other and whispering "what's the matter with her?" Or Miss Austen Regrets, which was on TV a while back, and is about Jane Austen of course, looking back over her life as a spinster author and wondering whether the brilliance of her career was an adequate replacement for the lack of romantic love and and children. Inexplicably I identified with her predicament - I know, it's weird - and I cried pretty much all the way through from the beginning, so when Jane Austen actually died (she does die at the end, I hope that's not a spoiler) it barely registered.
But I think the most embarrassing of all was The Lives of Others, which my parents took me to see on my 31st birthday, a few months after I had signed the publishing deal for Gods Behaving Badly. In the lobby on the way in, we happened to run into Dan Franklin - my editor and the head of Jonathan Cape - and his wife in the lobby. My parents had never met them, so we chatted pleasantly for a while before taking our seats. As chance would have it, we were in the row directly behind them. For those of you who don't know, The Lives of Others is one of the most brilliant and unbearably sad films made in the last few years, filled with moments of selfishness and selflessness, love, betrayal, misunderstanding, forgiveness, self-sacrifice, death, redemption - any one of which could make me cry, but all at once? I cried my eyes out in the film, but managed to pull myself together and thought I was going to get out of the cinema OK, until I saw the name of one of the characters (Christa-Maria, the writer's wife, for those who know the film) in the end credits, which set me off again. Which normally would not have been a problem. My parents are used to this. However, what doesn't usually happen is that I have to stand in the lobby of the cinema making small talk with my publisher while chocking on vast, engulfing sobs. I was crying too hard to even be able to say goodbye. Eventually I sort of waved and walked away, but then - but then!! - almost immediately walked into an old schoolfriend of mine who I hadn't seen for some years, who was there with her new husband who I had never met, and had to do a whole other round of small talk ("How was the wedding? How lovely!") with tears streaming down my face.
I could go on, but I won't. Suffice to say that I love a sad movie. And there is nothing worse than a film which promises a wealth of weeping but does not deliver. Love Story, I'm looking at you.

16 comments:
I'm a blubber too. I blub with happiness and sadness - more the former which can be very therapeutic.
I cried in the very first film I ever saw in the cinema, aged 5 - Mary Poppins - I was crying for Bert and the others during the chimney sweeps' ballet - thinking they were going to fall off the roof-tops.
The Sound of Music - the bit where Chris Plummer realises he's in love with Maria and they sing 'Something right' - get's me every time. And I'm not going to talk about ET ...
The Lives of Others is an amazing film; I remember watching it thinking it was going to be some kind of spy thriller (stupid me), and was incredibly moved by the stories of the main characters.
"It's for me."
Made me cry, too!
I've even been known to cry at trailers. Bet you can't beat that. As far as I'm concerned there are three types of films: a) cry in joy and sadness films (e.g. Nemo), b) double fisted kitchen paper towel films (e.g. Finding Neverland), c) the Ugly Cry films (e.g. Life of Others).
I hate to cry. I mean truly hate it and do everything possible not to cry much less be seen crying; so for one, your owning up to it is brilliant from my view point.
Second, there are a few movies that have made me well up, namely:
The Whole Wide World
Finding Neverland
&
Dr Who-Human Nature/Family of The Blood
(Post aside my word verification word is, advil. Hum...I think I might actually be needing some as a head ache is setting on...is the Internet getting physic?)
I am a really embarassing film cryer. I cried like a baby at the end of Return of the King as I felt like i'd been on a *journey* with them all and was sad the *journey* had finally come to an end.
I know.
Marley and Me was the most recent blubber fest but I wasn't the only one - I've never heard so many people in one cinema screen cry before and my chair was shaking from the girl behind me having hysterics.
Oh, what a lovely, heartfelt admission! It nearly made me cry.
I had thought I was pretty indiscriminate in my sentimentality; I will cry at, basically, everything and anything (including, shamefully, a TV advert for Bird's Eye frozen peas). Then, in an idle moment, I completed one of those 'Five most...' quizzes on Facebook. It was a revelation to me that my top five tearjerking moments on film were ALL reunion scenes - 'Daddy, my Daddy!' from The Railway Children, for example.
At a recent family lunch, I recounted the whole story of 'Random Harvest' to my sister, who had never seen it (and I mean the whole story, complete with swathes of dialogue). It has my favourite reunion scene in cinema history. I cried just relating the story; she cried; my elderly parents cried.
I would worry that the crying habit may be genetic, were it not for the fact that my daughter and nieces looked on in stunned horror and have since declared that we are all bonkers.
Ooooh Pauline - reading your comment, I just realised that my top weepie scenes are all "I didn't get to tell him / her in time". I wonder what that says about me?
But you didn't cry at Love Story Marie? Just reading the title makes me well up ...
How about Who Will Love My Children? (In hindsight, I can't believe my mother let us watch that when we were under 10...)
I'd forgotten about the Railway Children one! 100% blub rate for me there too.
Bravo: what a great post! Not least because you gave it the poster from Out of Africa (I went to see this with my mum, another uncontrollable weeper), this post bought back a lot of memories of passing tissues. And you mention Beaches, which is ABSOLUTELY shameless in its manipulation and by god I wept a river at that even when trying to recount the narrative to my mum after I had been to see it with a friend.
I'm definitely giving this meme a post of its own.
I never used to blub at all about anything till I had children, and now I cry at pretty much everything. I'd forgotten Finding Neverland. Yup, howled at that.
My favourite blub moments tend to be when the emotion is really understated, sometimes it's the things people don't say that really get to me.
I have a confession,that I was so wrapped up in my own fantasy world that I actually cried writing a scene once. I had put these particular characters through hell and I was so relieved things had worked out for them. My husband and children decided I needed to be certifiable for that!
You didn't cry in ET? come on...
May I recommend Nanni Moretti's The Son's Room (La Stanza del Filglio), as one of the few films that have ever made me sob (obviously I cried in ET; and Bambi). You know if it made me cry that you will probably need therapy after it.
Oh dear - I'm with you on this - even when you know that you are being shamelessly manipulated it gets me every time. Crying at films is wonderfully cathartic I think and these are my top weepers:
The Piano - absolutely fine until half way through - then in bits.
Schindlers List - flooded the cinema.
ET - my first memory of crying in the cinema - embarrassed because I thought it was only me weeping my heart out.
The Red Shoes - this makes me cry as the film starts...I've watched it so many times and start crying at the beginning because I know how it's going to end. By the end I am Awash...
Imitation of Life - That funeral! How could anyone have a dry eye after that.
I'm ashamed to admit that I cried at Titanic (the bit where the lady has put her children back to bed just before the sinking and is telling them the story of Tír na nÓg) and most recently at Marley and Me. So obviously the fact that a movie can make you cry doesn't mean it's necessarily that good a movie. I bitterly resented my weakness in both cases: Titanic for its clunky clichéd dialogue, and Marley for having Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston in it.
The most waterworks ever induced from me by a movie would be a TV adaptation of The Snow Goose starring the late Richard Harris. I howled. Anyone remember that one?
Dead Poet's Society
Life is Beautiful
Schindler's List
I feel like asking for my money back if it didn't make me cry.
Wonder if boyweepie moments are different from girlweepiemoments. 'I didn't get to tell them in time' doesn't do it for me - well you should have been more punctual then.
Mine are all 'how much better it all would have been if things had instead stayed the same'.
I cried the whole way through an Australian movie called "Mary and Max" (when I wasn't laughing!). Driving home was a challenge, and when I watched the trailer a couple of days later, I cried again! ...and then there's the Notebook!
Post a Comment