Thursday, 22 May 2008

A Lousy Day

I didn't make the shortlist of the Desmond Elliot Prize, but all congratulations to those who did.

I think I'd be feeling a bit more equable about this if I hadn't locked myself out without money or phone collecting the parking ticket off my car at lunchtime today, and had the spend the whole of the rest of the afternoon sorting it out. Not the best frame of mind for receiving bad news.

Not to mention that the ants have moved in behind the light switch, so only a matter of time before a freak electrical surge turns them into giant evil mega-ants with superpowers (e.g. ability to open the fridge.)

Am hoping for a better day tomorrow.

5 comments:

Persephone said...

Yes, but I haven't read any of the books on the shortlist, while I have read and enjoyed yours. (I suppose I shouldn't be boasting about not having read books. I'm hoping that this will make you think that I'm a discerning reader...)

Rob Buckley said...

Bad luck – on both counts. You was robbed, as they say.

"Not to mention that the ants have moved in behind the light switch"

You've not seen Phase IV, have you? I really suggest you don't....

Rebecca said...

Very sorry sis, but don't forget it was a great achievement to be on the long list to start with. We love ya!

Carla said...

Sorry about your bad day! Not sure if this will make you smile or make you think Canadians are strange....
I read Gods weeks ago. Loved it & usually books leave my teeny little mind shortly after I've finished them...no matter how much I enjoy there seems to be only so much room upstairs so to speak.

This afternoon I was out for a drive with my husband & my daughter. Going somewhere we haven't been to in ages on a tiny back road we haven't been on in years. Suddenly we cross over a teeny river & the sign beside it simply says *STYX*. I get very excited & start bellowing at my very confused beloved that we are crossing *The River Styx!* He says nothing but I can tell by the look on his face that there is something very wrong with me. It's then that it finally dawns on me that I am thinking about Gods & not something that happened to me IRL lol!!
Hubby still wants to know WTH is so exciting about Styx...
*errrm, never mind...I'm confused....book I just read...river Styx....never mind, I'm fine.
See none of those other books make otherwise normal people think they have been looking for Styx. Those award people don't know jack!

CPMatthew said...

Who cares what an elf thinks anyway...

Your book will sell way more copies.