Ever since I got back from holiday (lovely, thanks) I have been enjoying Radio 3's Genius of Mozart, in which they are playing only Mozart for 12 days. It's absolutely wonderful, and it strikes me that Mozart is exactly what I think of when I think of classical music. It's a bit like a child's drawing of a house - despite the vast amount of different shapes and sizes that homes can have, if you ask a kid to draw a house they will go for the basic square house, pitched roof with a chimney, door in the middle and windows on either side model. I can and do love anything from Bach to Britten, but Mozart seems for me to be the template from which all other classical music derives. Even the stuff written before him.
Irritatingly, my office internet is too slow right now for me to put on a YouTube clip. I'll come back and do it later.
LATER: Here we go. One of my favourite pieces. Guaranteed to get me welling up:
Meanwhile, while we were on holiday, my sister and I played a game: which three dead musicians / singers would you like to be able to see perform live? We never managed to come up with the definitive list of three but Mozart was one of them. Sis suggested Bob Marley; I had visions of Vegas-era Elvis; we both would love to have seen Ella Fitzgerald; but we agreed that the Beatles would be inaudible because of the screaming. Over to you, commenters.
Employee gets laid off due to extreme body odor: ‘I genuinely felt bad for
him. He had only just started the job and hadn’t really had the chance to
show what he could contribute. You could tell he felt embarrassed and
ashamed’
-
To pass the smell test
I felt really identified with this story because I've had to deal with this
issue multiple times in my life. I don't mean with my bo...
2 hours ago

10 comments:
Jeff Buckley. I guess that makes me a cliche.
Is that Gerrie Adams playing the clarinet?
Mozart rules all - but I will limit myself to C20 singers:
Marlene Dietrich
Edith Piaf
Judy Garland
Guess my sexuality... :-)
Pedro
ohmygod! You've expressed so well how a good friend of yours and mine feels too.He keeps marvelling at it all. He's had the Mozart 24/7in the house, in the car, but not er, when walking around town so I guess he's not a keen completist. I wonder if anyone has organised 3 day Mozart parties?
However, in all that prolificitness (is this a word?)I'd venture to say there's a lot we'll never remember or retain? I'm happy with The Magic Flute...
My dead ones are: Jimi Hendrix, Ian Curtis/Joy Division (though did see them once at least) and Nirvana.
Tim Buckley
Jeff Buckley
John Coltrane
Welcome back!
Any chance of a review of the SCD Final? Would love to hear your reaction to the showdance mess :-)
My 3 would be:
Janice Joplin
Jim Morrison (because my mother raved about them)
Ian Curtis from my generation
Thank you so much for your child's house analogy. It's been making me happy all day. Perfect.
See Mozart is too perfect for me; while I do like him (From the ages of 1 to 9 I fell asleep to the 40th sympathy.), Beethoven is more my style, nice and moody.
I am sorry to say I can't right now think of three dead musicians I would like to hear. But I am currently in love with Manic Street Preachers "(It's Not War) Just The End Of Love". This is thanks entirely to Michael Sheen.
Post a Comment