Let's examine a case study: 'The Sorrows of an American' by Siri Hustvedt. This is an important, elegant, intelligent literary novel whose scope includes the Scandinavian immigrant experience in early 20th Century America, the uses and limitations of psychoanalysis, stalking in its many forms, the love and silences between parents and children and brothers and sisters, art, photography, the cult of literary personality, and the ache of grief that comes with the loss of a parent or partner. It is brilliant, as is the other novel of hers I have read, 'What I Loved'. I have no idea why Siri Hustvedt is not on all those 'Great American novelist' lists with the likes of Philip Roth and Jonathan Franzen.
Here is the jacket of The Sorrows of an American:

Pretty. Maybe slightly sinister, given facelessness of girl, and the serpentine seething at the bottom of her dress. Quite appealing.
But I don't think you'd guess from this cover that the narrator of the book is a tall, forty-something male Norwegian psychologist mourning the death of his father.
But wait! There are some female characters in the book! Maybe it is one of them? narrator's love interest - who is black, and has short hair? No. His sister - a serious academic writer, just shy of fifty, given to smart suits? No. His elderly mother? No. The strange, reclusive old lady who holds a secret about his father's past? No. The friendly, overweight undertaker who favours elasticated slacks? No.
No, it's just a pretty, or at least slim and flowing-haired, girl in a slightly strange but pretty dress who bears no relation to the novel whatsoever. But women like books with girls in pretty dresses on the front don't they? So it doesn't really matter, as long as women buy it?
Any more ideas as to why why Hustvedt isn't taken seriously as a great American novelist?

4 comments:
Because the lit world can't cope with the concept of TWO differently talented writers in the same household?
Agree that the promotion thing is INFURIATING: mind, is this just a UK edition thing? (which almost makes it worse) there are other covers - the original first edition is a bleak landscape with a stormy sky...
American Edition
Delurking to say yes, dammit! Why isn't Hustvedt on the list? Not to mention Jane Smiley?
As for the covers, I can only seethe.
I didn't mention the Paul Auster connection as I fear it overshadows her, but yes, I think part of the problem may be that there's only room for one alpha author per household. I actually prefer her work to Auster's, who I find very cold much of the time. Interestingly, you get an insight into what it might be like to be Paul Auster's wife from this book, as the narrator's sister is a writer married to a cult literary superstar.
Not sure about that US cover either, I must confess. A little bland... I'm obviously hard to please!
And hello Charlotte! Thank you for unlurking and welcome to the blog.
Post a Comment